Sign in with
Your question

LAN recived 0 packets plz help?

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
August 21, 2010 10:52:02 PM

hi, im new to this networking stuff.. iv had my setup working many times before but this time its just a no go.
im using a 4 way ethernet hub (netgear en104tp) to connect 2 pc's for file sharing and to share internet, the first problem iv had is one wouldnt find ip address but now i have got it to say connected by manually giving it an ip and the usual sub netmask but its not reciving anything but is sending out. the 2 pc's wont see each other. this all happened after reinstalling windows on both pc's. this is brain wreking to me. need help with this, iv tried turning windows firewall off on both pc's and it sti;; gives 2 grey screen icons.
any advice greatly apreciated.

More about : lan recived packets plz

Anonymous
August 21, 2010 11:07:11 PM

Unless you have multiple IP addresses from your ISP, you can't share an Internet connection using a hub.
m
l
August 21, 2010 11:12:18 PM

Quote:
Unless you have multiple IP addresses from your ISP, you can't share an Internet connection using a hub.

i normally tell it to share mobile broadband modem and all is ok, even to just get lan they both cant see each other, iv read that even just plugging both pc's into the hub they should see each other, both are set to the same workgroup as i normally had. im using win xp pro with sp2.
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2010 12:34:41 AM

ah, now they see each other, i had set the ip the same on both pc's, had to change the last 3 digits. still cant get the 2 to share the usb modem,, the one with modem pluged in hasnt a problem but the other wont connect using the usb modem to the net through the hub. i know this method works as iv done it before and was easy, iv tried to reconfigure they way i had it but still wont connect...
m
l
August 22, 2010 1:09:30 AM

SOLVED, needed to set the the gateway and dns ip to match pc 1 on network (one with the modem). not bad for a network n00b :D 
m
l
!