AMD Phenon II Black Edition

vishalc08

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hi All,

I recently got my new AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE Black Editon, with a Asus M4A78LT-M-LE motherboard, 4GB Corsair RAm (2x2) and I 1TB HDD, My friends are saying that i should have gone for I3 instead. I got this souly for Gaming processor, Please let me know if it was good buy when compared to I3 and also how good is the motherboard when gaming point of view its got upto 1gb shared graphics. Please suggest me if i need to exchange the present AMD processor for the I3.
I3-2100 and Phenom II X2 555 BE,, Tell me which is the best betweent this ?

Thanks so much i will wait for ur suggestions.

Solution

The I3 2100 is much faster at stock than the X2 555. About 40 percent faster. But as others noted, you pay more also.

There are 4 significant advantages in staying with the AMD package. Many have been addressed by other posters. Here is the list as I see it.

1) Saved money can be invested in a GPU which would be a better investment for a gamer, or pocketed if your not a gamer.

2) The X2 555 Black edition processors have unlocked multipliers, making overclocking easy. That chip should Overclock to around 4ghz with little trouble. Narrowing the speed gap considerably.

3) That...

vishalc08

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Thats fine, i can change it i just got 2 days ago i work this out with the shop, But let me know how good is it when compared to I3 ? Is it worht the buy from a gaming point of view

Not enough info. Which I3? Which Phenom?

In either case, it wont make much difference in practical application.

vishalc08

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

I3-2100 and Phenom II X2 555 BE,, Tell me which is the best betweent this ?

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Well,frankly speaking,the core i3 2100 is better, for gaming and everything else, by a significant margin(but its costlier too).

Also, if u can't return ur system, u can easily overclock your 555 BE (unlocked chip) to cover up for the difference in performance:) U may even be able to unlock 1 or 2 more cores!! But then,do this only if you know how to, don't risk it:)

vishalc08

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Thanks i really wanted to go for I3-2100 i did a last minute mistake the difference in pricing was so less, i regret my decision now,, m pretty unsure on how to how over clock n unlock the chip, could you please advise

vishalc08

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Could you let me know how to unlock it and overclock my chip does this need additional cooling i got air cooling in the system. one heat sink fan and one cabinet fan does it need any additional cooling

Uther39

Distinguished
Well as you said you saved money by buying the AMD CPU, so invest it in a dedicated graphics card instead of relying on your shared on board graphics, as this will give you much better gaming than an i3 intel CPU with just on board graphics....

So to clarify

i32100 + On board shared graphics = bad gaming machine

PhenomII 555 + Dedicated graphics card like an ATI HD 6770 = good mid range gaming machine.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
How is the price difference small? There should atleast be a 30$ minimum difference. If you can, return it ASAP and get the i3. For unlocking an extra core, its fairly easy. You can even find it out using youtube videos. What motherboard is it?

The I3 2100 is much faster at stock than the X2 555. About 40 percent faster. But as others noted, you pay more also.

There are 4 significant advantages in staying with the AMD package. Many have been addressed by other posters. Here is the list as I see it.

1) Saved money can be invested in a GPU which would be a better investment for a gamer, or pocketed if your not a gamer.

2) The X2 555 Black edition processors have unlocked multipliers, making overclocking easy. That chip should Overclock to around 4ghz with little trouble. Narrowing the speed gap considerably.

3) That series of X2 chips are just X4 quad cores with 2 disabled cores. Those core can be reactivated. Some are defective and will not function once reactivated. But you may end up with a quad or a tri core. Which could also be overclocked. If your lucky, you could end up with a 4 Ghz quad core. Which would be significantly faster than the I3 AND cost less at the same time.

4) Two to four years down the line, when you decide to upgrade your CPU, there will likely be an affordable drop in replacement for your current chip. This is rarely the case with intel. That is good savings and versatility down the line.

So I wouldn't panic. You didn't make a bad decision at all. I would stay where your at if I was you. But these things are very personal decisions. Its up to you.

Solution

vishalc08

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Thanks :),, Yes i have saved some cash but not that much which may cause signficant difference in buying a GPU, How good is

i32100 + On board shared graphics= PhenomII 555 On board shared graphics

vishalc08

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Thanks Bro,, it is Asus M4A78LT-M-LE

vishalc08

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Thanks so so much for the detailed explaination, I'm now relaxed after seeing ur information about the AMD Phenom-II, Also wanted to know how could i unlock the Cores, And do i need any additional Cooling or increase the Voltage for the same. Please advise, I have got an Asus M4A78LT-M-LE MObo.

One last questiong how good is: i32100 + On board shared graphics= PhenomII 555 On board shared graphics

To say that a Phenom X2 + dedicated card is better than an i3 2100 + IGU is such a poor comparison. If you take an I3 2100 vs a Phenom X2 and match similar dedicated GPU's then the i3 litterally destroys it over and over again, then when you use the arguement of overclocking, that is not necessarily a good thing to oc your CPU constantly only to match or just be better than a stock CPU, OC'ing is not good in any circumstance.

While AMD are more flexible in the upgrade paths, and this will save you down the line. When you consider the i3 2100 vs X2 555 the better choice would have been the i3.

Uther39

Distinguished

The idea of the comparison is that buying AMD allows you to invest more in your gpu.