New motherboard, old hard drive?

Greenteaclearcup

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hello, i got a new cpu, new motherboard , and an old xp hard drive with no xp disc. I have windows 7 on my usb, used unetbootin on my mac to make the iso uncompressed, changed it to nfts from fat32,( when it was fat32, when trying to install windows i got a count down error) now that it is nfts format when i power up my motherboard and have the usb on first boot the screen shows up like normal saying press f2 for this press f8, or w.e it is, then it goes black with a cursor on the top left.

I have run out of things to do and i am completely stumped, will someone that can honestly help me out, HELP!!

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
in order to boot from usb on a PC you need to build a boot loader. format as ntfs and use the command bootsect.exe /nt60 *drive letter of your usb*

you must do this from the /boot directory of the windows disk. that will allow it to boot

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
in comand line. im not sure how you would do that from a mac but in dos you change directory to the /boot folder on the disk or in the copied files (it is hidden) and then type out that command