Freeze & Reboot /w XFX Radeon HD 4850

Travis4261

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Hello just bought a Radeon HD 4850, and now my PC will randomly reboot. At 1st I thought this only happened when I played games, but that is not the case it does it completly randomly. Just today it froze and rebooted within 5 min of my PC being on, while I was browsing the net looking for XFX Tech Support phone number (that doesnt seem the exist). So any idea on what I do to figure out why it is restarting? Also I have rule out overheating as I have a constant temp monitior gadget, also I have the latest drivers.

My PC specs are:

Win 7 Ultimate
Asus Evo 790x
Phenom II 965BE
4x 4GB 16GB G Skill DDR3 1600
Corsair 750

Solution
Considering that you just bought and installed the 4850, did you use a driver eraser program to remove the old gpu drivers and applications or just the Windows install utility? If just the Windows utility, it could be a driver conflict between the old gpu and new; the conflicting old/new driver issue has been well documented when switching from an nVidia to an AMD gpu.

I would recommend uninstalling all gpu drivers and applications using DriveSweeper and then reinstalling the AMD driver pack.

Considering that you just bought and installed the 4850, did you use a driver eraser program to remove the old gpu drivers and applications or just the Windows install utility? If just the Windows utility, it could be a driver conflict between the old gpu and new; the conflicting old/new driver issue has been well documented when switching from an nVidia to an AMD gpu.

I would recommend uninstalling all gpu drivers and applications using DriveSweeper and then reinstalling the AMD driver pack.

Solution

Travis4261

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Acutally just got off the phone with xfx tech, they told me to turn off auto reboot and wait for the blue screen and write down the number. But yea I have switched from a GeForce 8600GT to a Radeon 1300 (both borrowed cards) to this HD 4850 that I bought myself. Each time I only used the windows unistall process.