Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Freeze & Reboot /w XFX Radeon HD 4850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 16, 2011 4:12:43 PM

Hello just bought a Radeon HD 4850, and now my PC will randomly reboot. At 1st I thought this only happened when I played games, but that is not the case it does it completly randomly. Just today it froze and rebooted within 5 min of my PC being on, while I was browsing the net looking for XFX Tech Support phone number (that doesnt seem the exist). So any idea on what I do to figure out why it is restarting? Also I have rule out overheating as I have a constant temp monitior gadget, also I have the latest drivers.

My PC specs are:

Win 7 Ultimate
Asus Evo 790x
Phenom II 965BE
4x 4GB 16GB G Skill DDR3 1600
Corsair 750

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2011 4:20:20 PM

Considering that you just bought and installed the 4850, did you use a driver eraser program to remove the old gpu drivers and applications or just the Windows install utility? If just the Windows utility, it could be a driver conflict between the old gpu and new; the conflicting old/new driver issue has been well documented when switching from an nVidia to an AMD gpu.

I would recommend uninstalling all gpu drivers and applications using DriveSweeper and then reinstalling the AMD driver pack.

March 16, 2011 4:27:02 PM

Acutally just got off the phone with xfx tech, they told me to turn off auto reboot and wait for the blue screen and write down the number. But yea I have switched from a GeForce 8600GT to a Radeon 1300 (both borrowed cards) to this HD 4850 that I bought myself. Each time I only used the windows unistall process.
m
l
March 26, 2011 6:10:07 AM

Best answer selected by Travis4261.
m
l
!