Sign in with
Your question

Need some advice for a new computer.

Last response: in CPUs
August 21, 2011 4:14:22 AM

Hi to everyone

im looking for a new computer and would like an opinion of this computer: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1....

Im upgrading from a really old pc,and i just want a faster pc but with a little bit of gaming, nothing too fancy maybe some Valve games.

My Actual spec:
intel pentium4 2.0 Ghz
512mb ram
Radeon 9200 pro family

Hope you can help me with some advice.
Thanks.

More about : advice computer

a c 139 à CPUs
August 21, 2011 11:50:33 AM

I saw your link , in spec show vga 4200 it's mean VGA on board. You know vga onboard not good for game and alway's sharing with RAM. I think not worth for game ,
If you have friend can assembling hardware maybe you wil get bigger system, just opinion
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
August 21, 2011 12:01:02 PM

+1, find a mate who builds, or learn yourself,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/317211-13-bestconfi... has the three top members contributions recently as a guide,
You'll get a stronger system for $500 if you build yourself, plus you'll have a massive amount of pride and enjoyment from doing it :) 
Moto
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2011 12:07:54 PM

well a loose config wud be like this,

AMD phenom II x4 840 [3.2GHz] or Phenom II 965[3.4Ghz + 6MB l3 cache]
4GB ddr3 1333mhz RAM (i like corsair,but transcend,adata is also fine)
1TB WD caviar green (cheap:) )
AMD HD 5670 Graphics card [512mb if available]
Atleast a 450w PSU
SONY DRU-870S DVD re-writer
Logitech Mouse/Keyboard

Any 19" monitor of you choice:) 
m
l
August 21, 2011 12:45:16 PM

Build it yourself is definitely the right choice here, if you happen to live in central MN I could help you out. You could also get that comp and just add a graphics card to have a pretty well rounded rig. Adding graphics card is much easier then building a whole comp from scratch if you don't feel comfortable with it(it's actually not that hard and well worth it but I thought I'd give you another option) I'd recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... if you want to go that route.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
August 21, 2011 12:46:33 PM

I considered that option as well but thought if Op is spending $600 on the system then a card he may as well build :p 
Moto
m
l
August 22, 2011 12:48:19 AM

Hi to everyone

Thanks for the good advices :) 

i think the idea of buying the pc and upgrading the graphics card is more easy for me. :kaola: 
And one more thing, the ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics is really useless for basic gaming? because i've seen some videos showing this graphics running l4d and other games.I want to know this because i wonder if i can entertain myself a little before upgrading the graphics.

Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2011 1:34:33 AM

countedfob said:
Hi to everyone

Thanks for the good advices :) 

i think the idea of buying the pc and upgrading the graphics card is more easy for me. :kaola: 
And one more thing, the ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics is really useless for basic gaming? because i've seen some videos showing this graphics running l4d and other games.I want to know this because i wonder if i can entertain myself a little before upgrading the graphics.

Thanks

well its a very weak card i'm afraid, playable or not depends on the game and game settings
With all settings turned to low/off, at a resolution of say 1280*1024 u mite be able to play somethin, but it seriously won't be very nice:) 
Get a hd5670, or atleast an hd5570 if money is a problem. Anythin less than that is a waste:) 

PS:- About unlocking there are options for that in the bios. To overclock ur BE, u just got to up the multiplier, and voltage too if need be. Just keep the temps and voltage under control n u'll be safe. Better google around, there are complete guides on unlocking/overclocking available:) 
m
l
August 22, 2011 3:02:25 AM

You will be able to play some games, but you will definitely have to do research before every game you buy with the 4200. I found a few websites that claim you can play WoW on medium with a 4200. Also, according to notebookcheck.com(which also does some desktop benchmarks) you can play fifa 11, starcraft 2, modern warfare 2, resident evil 5, sims 3, fear 2, L4D 1, half life 2, fear. This is where i throw up my disclaimer "all these games running are the opinion of notebookcheck.com and not necessarily this poster, altho I do think it's possible" found that info here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-G... look up radeon hd 4200, all the green slots means they think it runs, altho they don't necessarily have fps on there.

I do know that fear would run tho, as it runs on my radeon xpress 200m and that's way older and crappier then the 4200.

$hawn I think you misposted that last part about unlocking a phenom BE?maybe it was meant for a diff thread? There is no way if he buys that HP model that he'll be able to do anything in the bios besides prolly change the date and time.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2011 11:47:57 AM

UhavbenkildbyGW said:

$hawn I think you misposted that last part about unlocking a phenom BE?maybe it was meant for a diff thread? There is no way if he buys that HP model that he'll be able to do anything in the bios besides prolly change the date and time.

lol sorry, it was for this thread:) 
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
m
l
!