Dual Core to Quad Core

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Hey i am upgrading my OS from xp to win 7 soon, and within the next 6 months i may upgrade my current hardware to:

1155 socket mobo
quadcore cpu
8gb ram

i was wondering if anything may not work properly or to the fullest if i do not reinstall my OS after this upgrade, i will be using some high end Video and audio editing software, and games like BC2, MW2, WOW, Crysis 1&2, i'm willing to reinstall, just wondering if it'll make a difference,
thanks everyone

Solution
If you change your motherboard & CPU, the drivers already installed on your HDD will probably cause you grief with either blue screens or endless re boots. It is always recommended that you do a clean install when changing out the MB & CPU. As you are getting 8GB of ram, you will need the 64-bit version of Win 7. And if you are going from a 32-bit to 64-bit OS, a clean install is REQUIRED. That means that you will HAVE to re-install all of your applications.
If you change your motherboard & CPU, the drivers already installed on your HDD will probably cause you grief with either blue screens or endless re boots. It is always recommended that you do a clean install when changing out the MB & CPU. As you are getting 8GB of ram, you will need the 64-bit version of Win 7. And if you are going from a 32-bit to 64-bit OS, a clean install is REQUIRED. That means that you will HAVE to re-install all of your applications.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
Technically speaking you don't HAVE to reload windows. If you aren't changing the chipset you nearly certainly don't need to. I went from my P35 to an x38 board and didn't. You have to know what your doing and reinstalling windows might be easier. You might be better off just waiting for the parts and then doing everything at once.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
It's not mandatory to install a new Windows from scratch when you are changing your hardware /and that includes the motherboard and the CPU/. Uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new ones usually works. Practically all Windows-es may technically work on basic hardware, and it comes with everithing necessary to run /your screen will be in low res but it will run/ which means you can just uninstall all the hardware specific drivers and install new ones. Some system cleaning may be good though as usually windows-uninstalling drivers don't completely erase everithing left by them /but again it usually is not fatal/.

lellz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Thanks, yeah i already upgraded win 7 ultimate 64bit yesterday, (i was waiting for it for ages :), and after seeing it now i would be more than willing to start over and reinstall everything, thanks for your replys, i have a hitachi 500GB and yeah i would rather not have the extra drivers lying around, i love having a clean computer