TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
oi vei, it never seems to end. I have a friend at my A+ class who claims that all core i5 cpu's have hyper-threading and that no core i3 or i7 has them. now this is totally backwards. he claims to have a core i5 2500k with hyper-threading. does anyone know if the second gen core i5 has hyper-threading, and any documents that can prove this? (he is very stubborn about this kind of thing)

Solution

1.ALL i3's and I7's have hyper-threading

2.ALL dual-core i5's have hyper-threading

3.NO quad-core i5's have hyper-threading

4. Your friend is an outright idiot:)

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

1.ALL i3's and I7's have hyper-threading

2.ALL dual-core i5's have hyper-threading

3.NO quad-core i5's have hyper-threading

4. Your friend is an outright idiot:)

Solution
Core i5 CPUs for laptops like the Core i5-2410M has dual cores and hyper threading.

Core i5 CPUs for desktops have 4 cores and do not have hyper threading. There is one Core i5 CPU for desktops with only two cores (I forgot the model #), but it is only sold to OEMs and are not available in the retail market. That one probably does have hyper threading.

ms do have golden tickets for some of there cpu's to turn on extra features after release. things like hyper threading or an extra cpu cluster. but your m8 on the A+ course is a know nothing numpty... the i7 has hyper threading ie the 2600k. the 2500k may have it but if it does then its locked beyond the user atm...
the first gen neph parts also have it so your friend is completely and utterly WRONG!...

sorry to say every I.T. course has 1 of these guys... they read a few mags, crash there pc,only to immediately format it and think they fixed it... swapped out a HDD for a m8 and all of a sudden he knows everything about PC's.... as you can tell i have met a few of them...

best thing to do is ignore anything pc related they spout. as its likely to be half rite or completely wrong.

Yes Yes, first gen this and that, the OP mentioned the 2500K, which is sandy bridge and the i5 is not hyper threaded. Intel would have been so stupid if they did give it HT support as most bar a the idiots would buy an i7 over the i5 if that be the case.

With the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors in the desktop space the rules are simple as to what sets each processor family apart.
Intel Pentium® processors:
-Dual core without hyper-threading
-Doesn’t have turbo mode
Intel Core i3:
-Dual core with hyper-threading
-Doesn’t have turbo mode
Intel Core i5:
-Quad core without hyper-threading
-Turbo mode (will clock up the speed of the processor based on heat and the number of cores being used.
Intel Core i7:
-Quad core with hyper-threading
-Turbo mode
The best resource for information on our processors is ark.intel.com.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team