Second Card for Xfire?

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have a couple options for graphics. I've been reading the article about the crossfire and SLI scaling in 2 and 3 card setups, and some of the comments have made me wonder what to do in terms of graphics.

I currently have two machines that will end up running good graphical setups. Between the two, I have a 5770 and a 5830. The 5830 will clock up to 5870 clock speeds with no loss in stability.

The way I see it, I have three options.

1. Get a second 5770 and crossfire. This will totally kill any further upgrade path with my graphics, since I only have one crossfire-capable motherboard.

2. Get a second 58** card, probably a 5830, since I wouldn't have to spend extra on the potential of a 5870 or 5850 that I'd never use. This path lets me get a third card down the road, but a third card would make two of three cards run at x8 speed.

3. Keep graphics as they are, and wait until I can get a card or two from either the 68** or 69** series. Again, I can 2-way or 3-way crossfire the cards, if it comes to that.

If the performance gains from a totally new card are high, I may be able to sell one of the two current cards, but I'm not sure.

If you need any more information, just ask.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
oops, posted before I'm ready. Editing first post now.

EDIT: Done. Will edit first post (or this one) with additional information as requested.

I play at 1920 * 1080. I would wish to play games such as Starcraft II and Crysis II.

Thanks to anyone who gives their opinion.