Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help finding the right Bluray drive

Last response: in Components
August 21, 2011 7:40:41 AM

Hi,

I'm considering buying a blu ray drive here in the near future, but I have a few questions first. I'd like to first give my system specifications, etc. and then ask whether or not a blu ray drive will work in my machine and what this community would recommend quality-wise and price-wise. Currently I am running:

Board: Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2
Chip: AMD 6000+ AM2 X2 Dual core chip 3.01 ghz
GPU: Gefore gtx 460 (single)
Stor. 1 internal IDE HDD 120 GB
1 External USB HDD 500GB
Mem: 4 GB RAM
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2333SW (native 1920x1080) :D 

Thanks for your consideration. Hope to hear back soon. I'll be watching!

More about : finding bluray drive

Best solution

August 21, 2011 6:45:08 PM

A Blu-Ray drive will work as long as you have a SATA port (I think all BR drives use them) on your motherboard. Out of curiosity, why do you need one?
August 21, 2011 8:53:17 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
A Blu-Ray drive will work as long as you have a SATA port (I think all BR drives use them) on your motherboard. Out of curiosity, why do you need one?

I'd just like to be able to watch movies in 720p or 1080p without having to wait days to download them... Haha..

and To be completely honest, I don't know if my motherboard has any SATA ports... Any chance you could tell me? I included the model number with my original post.
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2011 9:02:25 PM

Well, you could open the case (which you'll need to do anyway, once you'll get the BR drive), but let's see... yes, it has 2 SATA ports.

I'd go with the Asus drive... do you need the burner or just the reader? Also, what's the budget?
m
l
August 21, 2011 9:02:40 PM

Best answer selected by shreddster.
m
l
August 21, 2011 9:03:29 PM

Disregard that. MY computer does indeed have 2 SATA ports. Thanks. Do you think my computer meets the requirements in order to basically just watch HD blu ray movies or should I upgrade?
m
l
August 21, 2011 9:05:17 PM

FOR SURE it does. You have a GTX 460 graphics card, and that's more than enough to watch any HD. No need to upgrade. Need help to select a particular model?
m
l
!