New build- Z77 gigabyte motherboard. Which drivers?

I am downloading all of my drivers in prep for the build on thursday and had what may be a completely noob question regarding which drivers are necessary to install. The motherboard I purchased was a Gigabyte 1155 Z77 chipset (a link to the entire build and components is listed below)

On the gigabyte website I downloaded:
Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip
Intel VGA Driver
Intel USB 3.0 Driver

Then I have multiple drivers listed for the chipset, LAN, and SATA RAID. I am not sure if I need to install ALL of these or which ones I need. Here is the list for each category:

Chipset:
Intel Management Engine Interface
Intel INF installation

LAN:
Intel LAN Driver
Atheros LAN driver

SATA RAID:
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
Intel SATA Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
Marvell Storage Utility
Marvell SATA Controller Driver
Marvell Preinstall Driver

If anyone is more savvy than I (which 99% of you will be) can you tell me which ones out of those 3 categories I need to download and install? The link to everything I put in with model numbers is:
secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16971871
8 answers Last reply
More about build gigabyte motherboard drivers
  1. install all of them. they are for the different ports for your computer
  2. You need to install each driver :)

Important driver are

CHIPSET
    AUDIO
    VGA [ GRAPHICS ]
    LAN
  3. But What's your MOBO series ?
  4. There's One MOBO Driver disk inside your MOBO Box
  5. ISUVetMed, Ive already purchased a similar motherboard, the GA-Z77X-UD3H and the 3570k processor so our builds would be similar. Although I won't be starting the build for several weeks, as I'm gathering parts as they go on sale, I'm doing a lot of research. That is how I stumbled upon this thread.
    I would appreciate it if you could warn me about any pitfalls and/or provide any suggestions. I'm not only new to this but I'm also 64 and scared to death but there is no turning back now.
    My first question is, are you downloading the drivers onto a flash drive? Thank you!
  6. Hey Ratchet! I put mine together 2 days ago, everything went pretty smoothly. The actual hardware all came together without a problem and it booted the first time. This was my 2nd build (last one was like 7 years ago) and I didn't experience many issues at all. My PSU and Case only came with like 5 zipties, and my case did not come with a case speaker. Other than that I got pretty much what I expected. I downloaded all the drivers to a flash drive, but in the end I found it was MUCH easier just to use the CD that came with (mine had the current versions) since you could just tell it to install all drivers and it put the ones you needed on. The graphics card drivers I installed from the CD also and those were also current.

The ONLY hiccup I had was after building, installing windows, installing drivers ect I would get a random freeze every now and then. Sometimes it would happen during startup if I was looking at BIOS and sometimes it would happen while I was actually logged into windows. It was a random time, and I wasnt putting any stress on my CPU or GPU. I couldn't figure out what was causing it but since it would happen during windows operation and BIOS I dont think it was an OS problem. I think I narrowed it down to the BIOS itself being an outdated version, and it needed updating because of the Ivy bridge processor being new. It was very easy to do with Q-flash (program is already installed on the mb), and from the reading I have done just make sure you dont use @BIOS unless you HAVE too. So far that seemed to fix the reboots, if not it may be bad ram, but i left for the weekend and havent gotten to use it extensively. I did a stress test on it and temps were good and it did not freeze, so hopefully it was just an issue with the BIOS. Good luck on your new build :)
  7. ISUVetMed said:
    Hey Ratchet! I put mine together 2 days ago, everything went pretty smoothly. The actual hardware all came together without a problem and it booted the first time. This was my 2nd build (last one was like 7 years ago) and I didn't experience many issues at all. My PSU and Case only came with like 5 zipties, and my case did not come with a case speaker. Other than that I got pretty much what I expected. I downloaded all the drivers to a flash drive, but in the end I found it was MUCH easier just to use the CD that came with (mine had the current versions) since you could just tell it to install all drivers and it put the ones you needed on. The graphics card drivers I installed from the CD also and those were also current.

The ONLY hiccup I had was after building, installing windows, installing drivers ect I would get a random freeze every now and then. Sometimes it would happen during startup if I was looking at BIOS and sometimes it would happen while I was actually logged into windows. It was a random time, and I wasnt putting any stress on my CPU or GPU. I couldn't figure out what was causing it but since it would happen during windows operation and BIOS I dont think it was an OS problem. I think I narrowed it down to the BIOS itself being an outdated version, and it needed updating because of the Ivy bridge processor being new. It was very easy to do with Q-flash (program is already installed on the mb), and from the reading I have done just make sure you dont use @BIOS unless you HAVE too. So far that seemed to fix the reboots, if not it may be bad ram, but i left for the weekend and havent gotten to use it extensively. I did a stress test on it and temps were good and it did not freeze, so hopefully it was just an issue with the BIOS. Good luck on your new build :)

Thank you for the reply! Like I mentioned, I won't start my build for at least a few weeks. Could be after 6/23 as my daughter is getting married and the wife seems to think that is the only thing happening in the universe. After that it'll be three children married and but one to go but she's in medical school so it'll be awhile. As of now I own the mobo, processor, RAM and a DVD burner is ordered. Case, SSD and some SATA cables should rap it up. All I wanted was the Intel 4000 graphics (even that is total overkill for my needs) so I won't need a card. Thanks again!
  8. As noted previously, you can get started by using the utilities CD that comes with the mobo as it has all the drivers on it. It'll get you started then, they'll all need to be updated. OR, just goto the Gigabyte website for that board to get the latest bios updates, drivers etc:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx?kw=Z77X-UD5H&ck=2#3

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Drivers Intel Gigabyte