Connecting the Xonar DX 7.1 to analog stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Hello,

I just built an new computer and I used the Xonar DX 7.1 sound card. I have an older surround sound system (5 speakers, one sub-woofer) that only has analog stereo connections at the subwoofer for the whole system (does not have HDMI or SPDIF connections).

When I bought the card I envisioned plugging into the card with two 3.5 mm leads that connected into the analog stereo connections. However, the only problem is that I can't get this connection to work. So far all I can get to work is the old, boring single 3.5 mm connection to the sound card that splits into the two y analog stereo connections.

Why won't the sound card work with a two-lead stereo connection from the speaker system system to two-lead connection (to the sound card). I have read Asus's manual and it is no help. I am disappointed with the the card's apparent difficulty to connect.

This is my first sound card and so I am new to this type of component. While I realize this is an ABC question to those with sound card experience, it is not to me.

Thanks

Solution
My problem is that with the 2 to 2 connection, the card is not putting out a stereo signal out of the second plug. It is very frustrating.

Because the soundcard CAN'T. The output signal is totally different, even though both are analog signals.

For RCA:
Red: Left Mono
White: Right Mono

When you combine the two, you get a stereo output. Thats what your surround system is expecting to be sent to it: Two seperate mono signals.

The 3.5mm outputs go like this:
Green: Front Stereo [Left/Right]
Orange: Side Stereo [Side Left/Side Right]
Black: Rear Stereo [Rear Left/Rear Right]

Each output is a seperate stereo signal. Left and Right signals are carried together, on the same wire, unlike RCA where each wire transmits a single...
If I'm reading right, basically, your surround system connects via RCA input.

3.5mm = 2 audio channels per wire
RCA = 1 audio channel per wire

As your surround system only accepts stereo RCA input, your only option is a 3.5mm->RCA conversion. If you try to connect with just 3.5mm, your surround system won't understand the signal that its getting. You have to connect via RCA, which means 3.5mm->RCA conversion.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Yes you are correct, I used RCA connections 2 connections on the speakers to 2 connections on the sound card but on the sound card I had to use 3.5 mm conversion plugs which fit over the RCA connectors. The 3.5 mm jacks just plug onto the top of the RCA connectors. The sound card does not have any RCA connectors, everything is 3.5 mm. I reasoned that this would be the equivalent of a 2 RCA (on the speakers) to a 2 RCA connector (on the card so to speak because it does not have RCA connectors).

My problem is that with the 2 to 2 connection, the card is not putting out a stereo signal out of the second plug. It is very frustrating.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Right now I have a single 3.5 mm male plug into the sound card which splits to two RCA connectors that plug into the analog stereo connectors for the speakers.

I had envisioned two 3.5 mm male plugs connected into the Xonar DX 7.1 card going to two RCA male connectors plugging into the stereo inputs for the speakers but so far this has not worked.

Because the soundcard CAN'T. The output signal is totally different, even though both are analog signals.

For RCA:
Red: Left Mono
White: Right Mono

When you combine the two, you get a stereo output. Thats what your surround system is expecting to be sent to it: Two seperate mono signals.

The 3.5mm outputs go like this:
Green: Front Stereo [Left/Right]
Orange: Side Stereo [Side Left/Side Right]
Black: Rear Stereo [Rear Left/Rear Right]

Each output is a seperate stereo signal. Left and Right signals are carried together, on the same wire, unlike RCA where each wire transmits a single mono signal.

So when you send the 3.5mm signal to the surround system, it doesn't recognize what its being sent, and doesn't output anything as a result.

You HAVE to do a 3.5mm to RCA conversion to split the stereo output from the soundcard to two seperate mono signals to hook up to your surround system.

Solution

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks for your reply.

So my current setup is correct and the only one available? Using a single 3.5 mm output from the card produces left/right stereo signals to the RCA jacks - is that correct? In reading the Asus manual, this was not clear.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks, I never understood that the sound card (Xonar DX 7.1) was two channels per wire. NONE of the directions took the time to explain that small but very important point.

The manual's explanation is reduced to pictures.

It appears even with my wonderful sound card I am limited in how I can connect it to my system because of its archaic connections - only analog stereo. Note that you cannot connect separately to each speaker on my system because the speakers connect to the powered subwoofer.

Thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.