Sign in with
Your question

Is my PSU dying?

Last response: in Components
August 21, 2011 12:36:22 PM

To give you a quick history:

I got my PC in the Winter of 2010. It ran fine for 4 months and suddenly started to shutdown unexpectedly while playing games, or at a random interval while just browsing or typing a Word document.
Problem was 2 audio drivers [AMD HD Audio Device and HD Audio Device] conflicting on the same port. Disabled the AMD driver, problem solved.

Another 3-4 months later, It's back. To see if it was the PSU, I reconfigured my USB devices [5 in total] so that 4 of them are connected using a hub that is powered by mains voltage, and 1 directly. Problem solved.

But a week later, it starts again. Seems to me that my PSU is dying.

My PSU is a Corsair Builder Series 500W, and according to various tests, capable of powering my setup.

Temps and voltages are fine, I tested my CPU and GPU during the week that it ran fine, no errors or sudden shutdowns as if someone pulled the plug.

Specs are on my page, if I'm correct.

Thanks in advance.

More about : psu dying

a b ) Power supply
August 21, 2011 2:08:00 PM

Yeah assume shutdown issued PSU and Overheat Where is your system spec ?
How about temperature, connection cable , fan spinning ?
August 21, 2011 8:57:26 PM

henydiah said:
Yeah assume shutdown issued PSU and Overheat Where is your system spec ?
How about temperature, connection cable , fan spinning ?

Temperatures when idle:
CPU @ 35 degrees Celsius , GPU at 50 degrees , Case Temperature @ 40 degrees

Temperatures when playing a game:
CPU Max.:48 degrees Min.: 42 degrees
GPU Max.:68 degrees Min.: 58 degrees
Case Temperature Max.:50 degrees Min.:45 degrees

Connection cable:
Assuming your talking about all cables in my PC as well as the power cable: All cables have been checked, every single one is snugly connected to it's port. The power cable I'm using came with the power supply.

Fan Spinning:
All fans [CPU fan,GPU fan,PSU fan and Case Fan] are spinning. The CPU fan is 80mm, the case fan 120mm,and thats about all I know. My rig was built by a family member of mine.

System specs:
MoBo: Asus M4A88T-M/USB3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.0 GHz
GPU: Ati Radeon HD 5770 1GB
HDD: Samsung 1TB [unknown type, sorry..] :sweat: 
RAM: 2x2 GB Kingston Value
Optical: Samsung Writemaster something [again sorry] :sweat: 

I hope that this is enough to answer your question. I suspect the PSU more than anything else since I stress tested the GPU,RAM,CPU and HDD when my comp still worked properly;got no errors or shutdowns. :??: 
Related resources
August 22, 2011 8:30:27 AM

henydiah said:
yes seem temperature Cold , also you can check PSU use OCCT, if fail or shutdown it mean PSU dying .. and need RMA
http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

I see. But I've seen and heard on a lot of forums that running OCCT's Power Supply Test could permanently kill my PSU or other components. :??: 

I'm not very comfortable with this method since I've seen logs where temperatures go as high as 99 degrees and I doubt that's any good for any CPU,GPU or PSU for that matter. :sweat: 

Is running Prime95 of HeavyLoad v3.0 an option to draw the Max. amount of power from the PSU? I've used this method before, simulteaniously stress testing the CPU,RAM, and HDD at once, and I might try to run 3DMark11 also at the same time.
August 22, 2011 8:35:45 AM

Just a quick update: I meant to type 'Prime95 or HeavyLoad v3.0'. Also, I ran another Memtest just to be sure it isn't RAM, test came out clean. Also, by using the Thermaltake recommended wattage calculator, I ended up on 336W, which is more than the recommended 20% that a PSU should supercede in relation to what your PC uses.

EDIT: Just ran OCCT power supply test anyway. Started a one hour test, it failed after approx. 50 minutes, so I'm still thinking Power Supply, as temperatures didn't exceed the ones I listed before when it's under load. Real confusing, since I had been playing NFS:HP and Cod WaW all day, with only one crash during NFS.

EDIT 2:To try another possible cause I disabled the ASUS Power Surge Protection function off in BIOS, which was part of my Mobo. Instead of shutting down, it now freezes, in which there's no response at all [Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work, mouse pointer doesn't move], with fans spinning , lights on keyboard are on, power light is on, screen showing image at the point it crashed, no BSOD, no sound, fans spinning, and I have to press the reset button to reboot it, and I get the message that Windows wasn't shut down properly,with the choice of running in Safe Mode or just start normally.

EDIT 3:Tried to update GPU drivers for a test, but can't update. It keeps BSOD'ing on me saying that it failed to recover the video driver atikmdag.sys. This always happens when the wizard is installing the new video driver...
August 23, 2011 9:52:00 AM

Is anyone still out there?

Anyway, I've noticed that if I leave the side panel off, it won't crash as quickly in a game. Temperatures still remain normal, only 3 degrees cooler then before.

My fans don't have to work as hard as before, too. Still my PSU or a bad fan that shortcuts or something? Since my CPU fan 'pulsates' when it crashes.

[Pulsating: The fan going louder, softer , louder , softer, in a loop until I reset my PC.]
a b ) Power supply
August 23, 2011 11:32:17 AM

Go bios : disabled smart fan , disabled cpu temp warning , try play game again , if still crash

Just last option try reformat HDD , fix partition, install clean OS + driver , also update bios.
good luck
August 23, 2011 1:25:59 PM

henydiah said:
Go bios : disabled smart fan , disabled cpu temp warning , try play game again , if still crash

Just last option try reformat HDD , fix partition, install clean OS + driver , also update bios.
good luck

Yeah well I was planning to reformat it and disable those functions, but I'm afraid it died completely this morning. :o  I was just playing a flash game online, when the screen froze and my sound started stuttering really fast. Now the PC will power on, but it doesn't even get into BIOS and my screen says 'No Input Detected'. :(  Fans are pulsating as described in my previous post, no excessive temperatures, no HDD activity etc.

I'm gonna pay a visit to the guy who built it and see if he can do something. Thank God I decided to make a back-up in the week that it ran fine... :) 

Thanks for the replies though and I'll report back when I've got new info. [and hopefully a solution....] ;) 
a b ) Power supply
August 23, 2011 1:35:09 PM

Oh one again, if u you use USB keyboard that's can cause freeze :) 
August 23, 2011 8:50:20 PM

henydiah said:

Maybe, but the USB keyboard I am using [Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000] is 5 months old so I doubt it is the problem.

And read my previous post for details of my PC completely dying, like I said, only thing I was doing was a flash game, CPU load @ 4% so my guess: PSU has been dying on me slowly.....or my MoBo, since only the CPU fan pulsates when it crashes, or, like right now, when it boots.

Again, thanks for help, I'll inform you all when I've got more news.
August 23, 2011 8:50:25 PM

henydiah said:

Maybe, but the USB keyboard I am using [Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000] is 5 months old so I doubt it is the problem.

And read my previous post for details of my PC completely dying, like I said, only thing I was doing was a flash game, CPU load @ 4% so my guess: PSU has been dying on me slowly.....or my MoBo, since only the CPU fan pulsates when it crashes, or, like right now, when it boots.

August 23, 2011 8:50:57 PM

henydiah said:

August 23, 2011 9:10:59 PM

henydiah said:

September 15, 2013 1:29:31 AM

I m also having same problem help me.
September 15, 2013 1:31:39 AM

erik992 said:
henydiah said:

I m also getting same problem as yours help me.
!