Solved

Is my WRT54GS dead? won't even pass wired connections

Hi and thanks for looking.

I have a Linksis WRT54GS V7 running the latest firmware from their website (I just flashed it). Up until today it would intermittently reset - dropping all internet traffic for a good 30 seconds every time, thereby killing whatever it is we had running (namely games).

Anyhow I figured the easiest way to fix it would be to perform a hardware reset to factory settings right? wrong! I pressed the reset switch in the back for 30 seconds, and now it won't even pass wired connections. I have no idea what the problem is.

The computers can go online when plugged directly into the modem, though I get nothing through the router. All lights on the router seem to work fine - it indecates to have internet connectivity when I plug it up though I can't seem to get anything out of it.

All the computers can connect to it wired and wirelessly, but again it won't pass any internet from the main connection. I've reset it numerous times and updated to the latest firmware from the linksis website.

Any ideas?? It was working just an hour ago..

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wrt54gs dead pass wired connections
  1. Best answer
    Presumably you also followed the instructions on reflashing (especially doing with an ethernet between the router and computer, not wireless).

You were right to reset it -- should always do that after firmware flash.

Have a look at the manual and see if there is a list of different types of reset (duration, power on then off etc) if not they have a user forum where you might get an answer.

Also, can you connect to the router's user setup screens ? I would always want to examine the settings there after reflash in order to make sure LAN and WAN settings were correct.

As you can presently connect directly via the modem, check your options before spending.
  2. Thanks for the reply fihart!

Yes I followed the instructions on the website to reflash it via a wired connection.

I can connect to the setup screen (or else how would I flash it right? :) ) though after looking around all looks good.

The manual mentions that holding down the reset button for 10 seconds bring it back to factory settings, though interestingly it leaves the most recent firmware as is. In which case could it be the firmware causing the issues??

It's the only other thing I could think of really.

For troubleshooting purposes I guess I should note that I can configure and connect to the wireless network of the router, though sadly no internet is forwarded through it.

Any help would be wonderful!
  3. I think I would reflash and if problems persist go back to the earlier firmware as it's not unknown for new releases to contain bugs.

However, I realise that you only reflashed because there was a problem. Could be the router's on the way out, though usually it's wireless that fails first.
  4. Quote:
    I think I would reflash and if problems persist go back to the earlier firmware as it's not unknown for new releases to contain bugs.

However, I realise that you only reflashed because there was a problem. Could be the router's on the way out, though usually it's wireless that fails first.

Well as it unhelpfully pans out "messing" with it seemed to have done the trick. I just plugged it back up with no hopes whatsoever and lo and behold it works. Don't ask me how or why. But messing with the settings, re-flashing it, and resetting so many times seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for your time fihart! :)
  5. Best answer selected by Router.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Networking