Sign in with
Your question

MotherBoard Diagnostic?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 9, 2012 2:38:50 PM

Build:
MotherBoard- Gigabyte, z68a8 D3H B3
RAM- I have 3 different RAM, and tested with 1 stick at a time with different slot
1st- ADATA Gaming Series DDR3 1600Mhz 8 GB Kit 2 x 4 GB CL9 Desktop Memory AX3U1600GC4G9-2G
2nd- Corsair Vengeance Blue 4 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Memory Kit for Intel and AMD Platforms - Not a Kit (Single) CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B
3rd- PNY, 4GB- 2GBX2. DDR3.
CPU- Core i3 2120 3.30ghz
Graphic Card- EVGA - GeForce GT 520 2GB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card
PSU- have 2, 400W and 305W

Here is my problem: Connected everything together, turn on fan running monitor black ( also tried with no graphic card, used onboard stll didn't work.) I got this weird sound when I connect power supply to the motherboard, even though i turn off the mother board is this normal? And when I turn on the MB PSU make TICK sound the fan in PSU run normally, this only happen when I used Gigabyte MB( which just bought from amazon.) But when I used PSU with my old MB it doesn't make those noise. SO could it be MB faulty giving wrong signal to PSU? Does CPU have anything to do with this? And also The CPU fan doesn't run continuously, its run but not smoothly. I think it run then stop like half sec and run again keep doing that until i turn of MB. IS this mean CPU dead? Should I take these item to Tech store to see which one is dead? I found one local tech shop the guy said he'll do a diagnose for $50. LOL? And I ask if he sell internal speaker, he said yeah for $15. Double LOL. And he said something else but I forgot, I only remember something about hardware diagnostic, deep diagnostic for $100-160 that is triple kill right there. Since my item are replaceable why would I spend that much just to know which part is dead.

I was planning to take it to bestbuy ad ask them to run through it quick, like use my cpu with their MB oruse my MB with their cpu, to see which one is not working. should be pretty quick right? Not sure if they do that. Have anyone do this at BB? do they even have this service? And how much it cost to do this? $10-15?

Thanks in advance guys.

More about : motherboard diagnostic

a c 121 V Motherboard
May 9, 2012 3:08:33 PM

Does your PSU have all the correct connections? (8pin CPU power, 24pin ATX power....) a lot of low power PSU's like that don't have the correct pins. If it does not, and you plugged a wrong cable into a port on the MB, you could have shorted it out, and then it is hard to say what will still work and what won't.

$50 for a diagnose is pretty cheap.
m
l
May 9, 2012 3:24:43 PM

Yes, my PSU correct connections, I have 20+4 main power, 4 pin for cpu power. $50 is cheap? all i want is to see if cpu or mb is working or not that cost 50 bucks? all they nned to do is put my cpu in their mb too see if my cpu is working or not and that cost $50?
m
l
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
May 9, 2012 3:28:51 PM

When you installed the CPU were there any bent pins? Did you apply the thermal compound correctly?

A test you can do is take everything out of the case. and put the MB on a *Wood* surface. Then only plug in the PSU and 1 stick of RAM to the MB/CPU, try to boot up and see if you can get into the BIOS.
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
May 9, 2012 3:29:27 PM

Also. try resetting the CMOS
m
l
May 9, 2012 3:39:54 PM

itzdanielp said:
When you installed the CPU were there any bent pins? Did you apply the thermal compound correctly?

A test you can do is take everything out of the case. and put the MB on a *Wood* surface. Then only plug in the PSU and 1 stick of RAM to the MB/CPU, try to boot up and see if you can get into the BIOS.

Does it have to be wood surface? I used to put it on newspaper or brown paper bag. And I did tried reset CMOS like a thousand times. when reset CMOS I plugged a cap in 2 pin where it said clr cmos on MB. Do I need to unplug power supply from MB in order to reset cmos, cuz I always leave power connector on MB.
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
May 9, 2012 4:05:19 PM

You can use a newspaper, make sure it is not the glossy type though.

You can leave the PSU plugged in to the comptuer, but unplug it from the wall.

Make sure you put the jumper back to normal after putting it over the clear pins for 5 seconds.
m
l
May 9, 2012 5:28:56 PM

Sounds really borderline to investigating a bad motherboard.
m
l
May 10, 2012 1:02:29 AM

itzdanielp said:
You can use a newspaper, make sure it is not the glossy type though.

You can leave the PSU plugged in to the comptuer, but unplug it from the wall.

Make sure you put the jumper back to normal after putting it over the clear pins for 5 seconds.

What do u mean put the jumper back to normal? what jumper, is that thing look like a little cap with 2 open pin that use to cover 2 pin, which is the CLR CMOS? btw for the PSU, 115 seem to be doesn't work, when I set it to 115 and turn on the MB, its reboot constantly, whenever i turn MB on all the fan running for like 2 sec then reboot, cycle reboot loop thingy. but when I switch to 230 its run normally. And what the different between these 2? And after turn MB on for 10 sec CPU doesn't seem to get hot. So I leave it to 30 sec it only get warm. On my old MB which using Intel Pentium 4 turn it on like for 3 sec it hot. But These new build kinda weird. Could it be the CPU is dead or faulty MB? And how can I tell if which one is dead? Also I checked all CPU pin none of them bent.
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
May 10, 2012 3:11:26 AM

The jumper is the plastic cap that you use to cover the pins for CLR_CMOS

115V or 230V, you switch that depending on the current your country uses.

Do you not have a fan on the CPU? The computer will constantly reboot if you don't.
m
l
!