New motherboard doesn't have any sound output

theuberest

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
After installing new motherboard, PSU, and processor no sound is coming from my PC.

Installed new components into an old shell because of blue screen of death now no sound. My computer is being used for music production, but I will be using my pro tools hardware to do most of the heavy lifting. I don't want to buy a soundcard, I would like the onboard sound to work....any suggestions???

Motherboard: Asus P8H 61-M LE
Processor: Intel i5 3.1
PSU: Eagle 500 Watt
RAM: 4 GB 1333MHz
Harddrives: Seagate 1tb, 500gb stock c drive
case is a stock compaq case
operating system hasn't been installed yet
dvd/cdrw drive
firewire port

Swapping cases should not have any direct impact on sound or computing performance so why swap cases due to BSODing? Just curious.
You do need to have the OS installed to use the I/O audio functions (the only sounds you'll get with your mobo speaker are beeps - hopefully one beep after POST).
Are you not getting a POST beep? Is you mobo speaker plugged in?

theuberest

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

I didn't swap any cases. the case i have is a stock compaq case.
I forgot to say that the operating system i'm using is windows xp SP3.
The system posts (i am online and everything!) just no sound.

@Emerald all drivers are installed and i don't have a sound card.

In the sound playback menu there are 3 choices for default devices but none of them produce audio...
ATI HD Audio Rear Output
Digidesign Mbox2 mini: chan 1-2
Realtek HD Audio Output

theuberest

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Yep

Yep

rajyohanson

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I have had some fun times with the Realtek drivers. Not to sound like im patronizing you but did you make sure that it wasn't muted in the driver, or volume on the output dropped to 0 or something completely so silly it wouldn't have occured to look? :)