CPU for university music + engineering student

aquitania

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hey all, new to the forum and building world in general due to a lack of money. Planning on getting a desktop for the coming year, can't rely on the parent's rig anymore

I'm planning on using the computer mainly for music production and maybe a touch of gaming (got a weakness for elder scrolls games). I run cubase and reason, and I'm planning running multiple instances of virtual synths, samplers and the like (EWQL Symphonic orchestra, Omnisphere, Absynth... etc).

Before I was set on getting an AMD phenom ii x4 955 (or the like), hearing that they're pretty decent budget cpus. But then I've noticed that all this research and it seems that these CPUs are prefered by people going for a gaming pc. Then I looked into the Sandy Bridge Intels and they look pretty decent power for money. But I'm two steps behind it seems, I just found that AMD is launching their new Bulldozer chip in September.

So this is what I know.

I'm wondering if anyone can make recommendations for cpus that would fit the music production bill.
Also, whether or not its worth waiting for the Bulldozer cpus; for either the cpus themselves or the reduction in prices in other processors in the competition that I would assume accompany a new release.

budget would be under 250

Cheers

rosenberg1979

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
250 dollars, pounds, canadian dollars, shekels?
250 for just the cpu, or 250 for the whole rig?
Whats the time-frame for needed the new computer up and running?

off the cuff i'd say something from the i7 family preferably i7 2600 (K if you ever want the option to overclock it), or if you can get a deal on an older 1366 setup they would also suit your needs rather well. However both of those may blow the budget.

I wouldn't buy amd new at the moment with bulldozer supposedly launching in less than a month, but then again i'm already starting to see existing stock of amd cpu's diving.
If you can wait till bulldozer launches you may be able to snatch up one of the phenom x6'es at rock bottom prices, but then again the 1055t is already $150 how much lower will amd really sell it.

If you really can't wait and you are stretched a bit thin in the money department a 955 or 965, whichever is onsale cheaper, with an am3+ motherboard would do the job, how well i'm not positive as all my musician friends have moved on to mac pro's and the i5 imacs. But with an am3+ motherboard you could get a bulldozer down the road assuming that they are worth it and still work in am3+ like promised.

long story short, get an i7 2600 if you can, if not then an i5 2500 or a used socket 1366 i7 setup, if you can't afford any of those, roll the dice on amd. Bear in mind though i've been waiting since around april to buy a new computer cause "bulldozer will be out any day"

TRENDING THREADS