Looking for Wireless Advice

winhack

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I currently have a Linksys WRT610N Wireless router and am experiencing some signal strength issues in the master bedroom at the other end of the house. Not terribly surprising, since I have a couple of walls and a long hallway between the router and the room at the other end of the house. On my devices, be they a netbook, a laptop, an iPad, or my WiFi Blu-ray player, they can see the networks, but they cannot seem to maintain a consistent connection. Move the device one or two inches, and the network is lost. The problem is worse with the 5GHz network, so when we switch to the 2.4GHz network, it works better, but still not reliable. Close the bedroom door and all bets are off.

In terms of straight dimensions, it is probably a distance of 40 to 50 feet between the router and the back bedroom. The router itself is mounted on the wall in my living room in the front of the house. Then it is an L-turn to the hallway which leads to the bedroom. And, like I said, the connectivity is intermittent, not terminally bad. I am familiar with all the "Move the router closer to the center of the house," kinds of tips, but due to a number of wiring issues, that presently is not possible without an investment into drywall work.

I am trying to find either a range extender/expander/repeater or a new router that has better range than the WRT610N. I am not a Linksys fanboi, so I am not afraid to try other brands such as Netgear or Hawking or D-Link if need be. I know everyone has their favorite brand, but ideally I believe what I am looking for is something that will extend the network range.

Linksys no longer makes a range extender for N, and I have noticed that so far NO ONE has a range extender for 5GHz N at all yet. I have looked at devices from Cisco (WAP4410N), Netgear (WN2000RPT), and Hawking (HWREN1), but in reading user reviews, it seems like none of these is the answer I am looking for. Looking at the newer Linksys E3000, it seems like that won't help me either.

Money is not a huge obstacle here, and I am not beyond buying higher-end Cisco gear if that is the only way to solve the problem, but I have been out of that IT world for a while now and would not know what to get. Additionally, I have to believe that at this point someone has solved this problem on a consumer level.

Does anyone have a working N extender setup that they have had success with that they could share some details with me? Constructive advice beyond "try moving the router" would be welcomed too.

winhack

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Can the WRT610N act as a repeater, even with the third party software? Does it have separate send/receive radios? Once I replace the software in the 610, will it work as a repeater for ANY router or only for other software-replaced routers or only Linksys or ?