Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Double Check [Gaming $1500]

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 27, 2011 3:07:19 AM

Hello again everyone,

I'm only days out from buying my first build components and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving last minute advice or double checking of my build to make sure I didn't screw up or forget anything.

Budget : $1500-1600
Purpose: Gaming (Mostly online MMO's)

Thanks!

TEAC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD-ROM Drive Model DV516E/B/S
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Logitech M505 Red 3 Buttons Tilt Wheel Wireless Laser Mouse

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1-Pack - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


ENCORE ENUWI-1XN42 USB 2.0 Wireless N150 Adapter, 2dBi
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

May 27, 2011 3:40:22 AM

Hi, I really like most of your components are you going to set up an SLI configuration for gaming?

Also following are some thoughts:

1. Why the Teac optical drive? Most people are going with Asus, LG, Sony or lite-on. I am asking sincerely not in a sarcastic way

2. You may want to look for a sale on the Gskill (or other brands) 2 x 4GB 1866 memory at newegg. It wason sale two days ago for $80

3. I like your PSU but if you are going to SLI I would recommend the Corsair 850HX. It ranges in price from $120 - $150 depending of if you catch it on sale. It is much more powerful and efficient than the Antec 750 (the Antec is a good unit though). It is also silver plus rated and SLI certified

4. A lot of people are recommending the MSI 560 Ti so it must be a great card. As another option you could consider the ATI 6950. Both are good.

5. This probably is not in your budget, but I really like the Corsair 650D case ($180). It has a lot of really great up to date features like USB 3.0 and hot swap Sata III 6 GB/S drives that many cases do not have.
Related resources
May 27, 2011 3:44:43 AM

will you sli/cf or oc?
May 27, 2011 3:52:13 AM

I changed the DVD drive last minute due to my original SATA pick being out of stock...I didnt even realize how it was different, I was too busy focusing on price/rating etc. I'll probably switch back to sony.

Also I'm not going to be doing SLI since having two graphics cards will actually reduce the performance of the current build. My focus is on a good processor instead.

When it comes to the case, I've changed my mind multiple times but the one I currently have seems to fit most of my needs. The only problem I'd be worried about is space and ease of part installation...

I'll probably OC some but I'm inexperienced and wouldnt want to ruin things. As for SLI, no not in this build with sandy bridge hopefully able to make up for there only being one card

Thanks for your input so far!
May 27, 2011 4:00:34 AM

Wait, how will it reduce the performance? What are you using this PC for? When SLI'ing 2 560 ti's, you get an almost 100% increase in GPU performance.
May 27, 2011 4:09:03 AM

ya 2 560 ti's are 40% better than a single 580
also why are you getting cpu paste (you need a heatsink other than stock that doesnt come with its own already). get a hyper 212 plus at amazon for 30$ (comes with thermal paste) if you are worried about processor heat.
get a samsung spinpoint f3 1tb hdd it is better than that seagate.
get this psu save 10$- http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-comp...
also change your mobo to a asrock p67 extreme4 from amazon same price sli capable
May 27, 2011 4:14:28 AM

I assumed that the sandy bridge chips don't have enough bandwidth to run two cards. I've heard conflicting advice that the spinpoints are really noisy and I've heard some really bad things about asrock from some personal friends.
May 27, 2011 4:14:59 AM

If you could prove me wrong though that would be excellent
May 27, 2011 4:17:39 AM

holyrebel said:
I changed the DVD drive last minute due to my original SATA pick being out of stock...I didnt even realize how it was different, I was too busy focusing on price/rating etc. I'll probably switch back to sony.

Also I'm not going to be doing SLI since having two graphics cards will actually reduce the performance of the current build. My focus is on a good processor instead.

When it comes to the case, I've changed my mind multiple times but the one I currently have seems to fit most of my needs. The only problem I'd be worried about is space and ease of part installation...

I'll probably OC some but I'm inexperienced and wouldnt want to ruin things. As for SLI, no not in this build with sandy bridge hopefully able to make up for there only being one card

Thanks for your input so far!


Considering your case, one of the main strengths of the 650D is that it is well laid out and easy to build in. Again, I want to be sensitive to your budget because the 650D is $110 more in cost than the CM 912. But if you can swing it, it may be the best case for the needs that you list. Either way the 912 is a quaity case too
May 27, 2011 4:21:57 AM

spinpoints are not that noisy tomshardware used them in their last builds. x8/x8 will not bottleneck 560ti's only gtx 580's and up (2% nothing big for the 580)
i have an asrock extreme4 and i switched over to it after i received a faulty asus p8p67 pro b3 revision board. there is nothing wrong with asrock it is actually a part of asus.
May 27, 2011 4:27:19 AM

Lol, no idea who told you about the sandy bridge/sli issue, that's plain stupid. It's probably referring to the fact that you can't get 16x-16x SLI on most boards, but that isn't an issue, A 2% performance hit at most. Here's a few threads that agree with me:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=965665

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=43088

http://forums.tweakguides.com/showthread.php?t=4040

And of course a benchy, for proof ;)  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-scaling...

As for ASRock mobo's, they are actually manufactured by ASUStek, the parent company to ASUS. ASRock is the consumer/oem oriented line. I can't speak on the HDD issue.
May 27, 2011 4:44:54 AM

striker410 said:
Lol, no idea who told you about the sandy bridge/sli issue, that's plain stupid. It's probably referring to the fact that you can't get 16x-16x SLI on most boards, but that isn't an issue, A 2% performance hit at most. Here's a few threads that agree with me:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=965665

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=43088

http://forums.tweakguides.com/showthread.php?t=4040

And of course a benchy, for proof ;)  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-scaling...

As for ASRock mobo's, they are actually manufactured by ASUStek, the parent company to ASUS. ASRock is the consumer/oem oriented line. I can't speak on the HDD issue.


Now be nice :-)
May 27, 2011 4:47:47 AM

I personally recommend a single 6970 2g (from experience) but if you want the hassle and future issues with crossfire and sli then up to you. I would definetly go with the CPU you chose though!

May 27, 2011 4:55:18 AM

You are coming to the forum with a lot of advice from your friends which is OK. But remember, that your friends may not be up-to-date on everything and so it is good to double check what they are saying and what you hear in this thread also.

Here are some facts about what we are discussing:

1. The Samsung Spinpoint F3 is one of the most recommended drives made and it is one of the cheapest. That is why it gets recommended so often. Other HDDs like Seagate and WD are good too.

2. SLI will greatly improve the speed of your gaming. That is why it is so hot among serious gamers. No one is criticizing you (I hope) for not understanding this. When I first started researching my computer components three years ago I didn't know what SLI or crossfire was.

3. If you don't want to mess with SLI, get the GTX 570 or 580 if you want extra speed. For a beginning builder it will be easier to install a single GPU and the 580 is a great card. However, they above poster is correct that it is more cost effective to SLI two 560s than to purchase one 580 (this is a Tom's hardware recommendation)

If you need some validation of these statements read tom hardware's best GPUs for the money section in this forum and the recommended builds. If you will do a little homework you will find that the above information is correct. Some of the links have already been posted for you.

I hope that this helps you because everything is very confusing at first.
May 27, 2011 5:17:16 AM

flong said:
Now be nice :-)

Lol, after reading that it did seem like a personal attack against OP.... My bad, I was referring to the source from which you got the info. It's very difficult to know what is correct nowadays, I meant no personal offense. Simply the info you received was flat out wrong.
May 27, 2011 5:31:03 AM

striker410 said:
Lol, after reading that it did seem like a personal attack against OP.... My bad, I was referring to the source from which you got the info. It's very difficult to know what is correct nowadays, I meant no personal offense. Simply the info you received was flat out wrong.


Info that the OP received was not up to date and correct concerning SLI.
May 27, 2011 3:01:09 PM

Don't worry I don't take it personally, in fact I appreciate you helping clearing things up for me. However, it does start to worry me....should I change more than just the motherboard and graphics cards? And even so, will it remain in my budget to do SLI?

(The HDD issue I can handle)


Edit: Or should I just switch the mobo and get the second card when I have the cash? Does this change mean anything to the rest of my build then?

Best solution

May 27, 2011 3:31:58 PM
Share

holyrebel said:
Don't worry I don't take it personally, in fact I appreciate you helping clearing things up for me. However, it does start to worry me....should I change more than just the motherboard and graphics cards? And even so, will it remain in my budget to do SLI?

(The HDD issue I can handle)


Edit: Or should I just switch the mobo and get the second card when I have the cash? Does this change mean anything to the rest of my build then?


What most people do is buy one GPU now, and a second in a couple months. What that allows you to do is buy now, and add even MORE power later! 2 GTX 560 ti's is not to be understated. They will probably max every game @ 1080p with 60fps minimum for quite a while. They even way outperform a GTX 580!

I would suggest buy the system now, and then add another 560 ti when you can afford it. Be sure to get the EXACT same model, as Nvidia recently came out with 560's (no ti) that will not work with the much stronger 560 ti.

Here's a mobo for a bit more, but it supports SLI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I was also sensitive to your want for ASUS, which is fine. They are most likely higher quality boards anyway.

Good luck with the build!
May 27, 2011 6:42:12 PM

This has been of great help to me. Final question, I feel much more solid on the internal components but I'm curious as to your opinion of the monitor. I realize it can really come down to how I like it, but I also like to shop around and keep my options open. The monitor I listed is just what is highly rated on newegg, I don't actually have a personal preference besides the price range (~$200) and how well it works.
May 27, 2011 7:04:33 PM

That is a fine monitor, a favorite by most players. However, you pay a bit more for the speakers. Do you really need them?

Here's one that's $169 with a $40 Promo card. It's an IPS panel, which means that it will be much more vivid and color correct. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., It's sold out. If it's back in stock by the time you buy, I suggest you get it. It's a steal.

Otherwise any monitor that's 1080p and has LED backlighting will do just fine.
May 27, 2011 8:11:53 PM

Best answer selected by holyrebel.
!