AMD cool and quiet spikes core volts and speed

f12ostii

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
i recently decided to enable amd cool n quiet so my cpu can be less power consuming n thus lowering its temps...i do have my phenom x6 1090t oc to 3780mhz but i dont want it to be running at those frequency the whole time so i enabled cool n quiet n it does lower my temps by 8 degree c but while monitoring it with cpu-z in games the core volt jumps to 1.55v and speed to 4200mhz..but only for a sec or so then it will go back to 3780mhz .which i dont feel comfortable with. was wondering if this is just a spike i should worry about or not? temps at idle is 26c and on full load never gets higher than 46c.in games like bc2 n shogun 2 they stay around 40c to 42c. kinda ironic how i enable it to lower my temps n consume less power but this might fry my cpu as well if it keeps spiking. any help? i dont feel right when my core volts is higher than 1.44v n my core speed to 4200mhz.

Solution

teflon2287

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
That would be turbo core kicking in (or whatever AMD calls it), it clocks up some of your cores higher while the others are still 800 MHz. My 1055T does the same thing, it requires a higher voltage when the higher speed kicks in. This is standard on these CPUs, even at stock speeds.....

the CPU is stocked @ 3.2 GHz you overclocked it to 3.8 GHZ and enabled TurboCore technology, which allows 3 Cores of your CPU to be overclocked to increase performance so your CPU reaches 4.2 GHz cause of TurboCore and thus your voltage is normal cause i run mine @ 4.1 GHz @ 1.5V
when AMD C1E and Cool & Quite features are turned on you're CPU will be at a lower frequency 808 MHz or whatever and your voltage will drop down to 1.2V
you don't have to keep overclocking the CPU for leave the playing games, as the most recent games are only benefit from quad and triple cores
Keep the overclocking for heavy Appls and multitask work

Solution