Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What about this basic mini ITX build?

Last response: in Systems
May 27, 2011 3:07:47 AM
May 27, 2011 12:26:55 PM

striker410 said:
There is only 1 thing I would change. The hard drive. Grab a Spinpoint F3, bigger/faster. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Spinpoint-3-5-Inch-Intern... Other than that, Damn fine job.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm more than a little ignorant on this subject. Why is the Samsung drive faster? Their specs look very similar; however, the Western Digital uses a SATA 6Gb/s interface and the Samsung offers a SATA 3Gb/s connection.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2011 1:17:08 PM

The WD will never use the bandwidth of SATA 3Gb/s so it being 6Gb/s is completely pointless.

You'd have a performance improvement with the i5 and more ram. However for the tasks you'd be doing there is little chance of you noticing a significant performance improvement. I'd stick with the i3 and the 4GB.
May 27, 2011 3:05:48 PM

Thanks for help. Another question. Should I want to add a wireless adapter in the future, what type would I use?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2011 3:12:54 PM

With that board it would need to be a PCIe card obviously which is a bit of shame because it only has one slot.

I'd recommend you just buy a motherboard with wireless built in. There are some full featured Zotac boards. They are slightly more expensive however.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2011 3:33:58 PM

^not necessarily true. There are plenty of USB adapters that work just fine. They would also be cheaper than getting a board with it all built in.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2011 4:17:34 PM

striker410 said:
^not necessarily true. There are plenty of USB adapters that work just fine. They would also be cheaper than getting a board with it all built in.

This is very true but on an mITX build they would stand out like a sore thumb? Additionally I've found PCIe wireless cards to be more reliable than their USB counterparts which may be simply contributed to having a better aerial.

Alternative choice but I'd perhaps only go for this one if you are actually going to use the remote. I'm not sure if it's still the case but in the past ASRock motherboards have been cheaper entry level boards. I think they are owned by ASUS? So I'd expect a higher build quality from the Zotac boards but who knows.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2011 4:28:59 PM

Yup they are the Asus budget line. The fact is, either would work just fine. Zotac would be more clean, while ASRock would be cheaper. I have never dealt with Zotac boards, so I cannot say anything of their quality. I have however used ASRock boards. They are top notch IMO.

OP, this is gonna just be a personal preference thing. If you go ASRock with external anntenna it's gonna be more ugly, But cheaper. If you go Zotac (what I'm leaning towards) It's a bit more but also much cleaner, less hassle.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2011 11:45:27 PM

striker410 said:
That would be just fine. Keep in mind that you will need an actual antenna to attach to those wifi ports. Something basic an cheap like this will work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The ASRock board actually comes with the necessary antennas. No need to purchase anything else.
m
l
June 4, 2011 3:29:01 PM

Best answer selected by hypnos1.
m
l
!