Sapphire Vapor-X vs. ASUS DirectCU II vs. MSI Twin Frozr?

G

In terms of cooling performance, they all perform very close,

but for Crossfire, the Twin Frozr would be better for Crossfire, it is designed in a way that allows air flow when the cards are almost touching each other, that's why it has a smooth streamlined edge at the top.

The Asus DCII is HUGE, it's a triple slot card! it takes up three slots but YES it is the coolest, it has the lowest temperatures because it's a triple slot, if you want to Crossfire it, you could with another brand as it wastes 3 slots, if you want a single card that runs the absolute coolest, get the DCII, I personally think it's ugly!

The Vapor X is good, although it's only available in 1GB so it can't be unlocked to a 6970, if you aren't planning on unlocking it to a 6970 and want cooling similar to the
DCII triple slot fat Asus, get the Sapphire Vapor X

I prefer the Twin Frozr

Only true if you plan to OC the nuts off of it. Its just not relevant if you plan to leave the card at stock.

Mactronix :)

I guess I got abused my Sapphire when I RMA'ed my 2900 XT and they asked if a perfectly good 4870 is acceptable as a replacement.

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
i would have to say Asus HD6950 DirectCU II because its a 3 slot cooler and cant compare to say MSI HD6950 twin frozr II.

if we were talking about a GTX 560 then i would say twin frozr II because on lesser cards the DirectCU II cooler is only 2 slot and a little worse than Twin Frozr II.

My friend was the one to get the shaft as it was his 2900 XT, he didnt want to deal with the RMA gave it to me tried to see if I could get it to work which I couldn't. I submitted the RMA and paid for the shipping and out came a 4870. He learned from that.

Either way I would go for Asus or MSI. I prefer the Asus design but it might not be pratical in some cases.

G

Didn't you guys understand anything I just said:

firstly IMPORTANT: I don't think that the SAPPHIRE 6950 has Vapor X- it doesn't say so

Now best cooling is the triple slot Asus according to both reviews and common sense,

Then the Twin Frozr, but for Crossfire IF the cards have no space between them, the Twin Frozr would be better than anything else because it has been designed in such a way that lets it intake air from the edge or the side and it takes up two slots so the Asus is a no go for Crossfiring plans.