May 27, 2011
Just built this computer.

Specs:
Corsair CX 500w PSU
ATI Radeon 6870 GPU
i5 Sandy Bridge 2500k 3.3 CPU
4gb ram

This motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128501&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

As far as I know I have everything installed correctly. I press the power button on the computer and the power LED flickers once and the CPU fan budges slightly, then nothing more. If I try it again, nothing at all happens and I have to turn the PSU off and on to get the same results as before.

I would be happy to provide any additional information.

Thank you for your help.

Some more info: The PSU didn't come with a 4pin connector, but it has an 8pin. I have tried plugging half of it into the 4pin slot(as I read someone else got it working by doing that) but have had no luck.

I took the Video Card out to see if that was taking up too much of my power supply but have had the exact same results.

jjordizzle

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
After you linked it, I went through all of those.

Ummmm I just unplugged Sys_fan2(i had my 4 case fans connected to it) and it booted right up!

How will I be able to get the case fans to work now?

another edit: I just plugged the case fans to the power supply without also plugging the cable into Sys_fan2 and now they all work.

If anyone would like to help me further, I just noticed that when I turned the computer off, I heard a quiet yet annoying noise coming from the power supply. Switching it off made the noise go away, but it happened after I just tested it again.

jjordizzle

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Update: computer crashed after starting up a game and running Pandora radio in the background.

Computer will not start now. It starts to boot up then after about 1 second, turns off and tries again. I have to switch the psu off to stop it from retrying.

Overheating?

-Jjordizzle

More info: I think the ONLY way it could be overheating is because of the thermal paste/heatsink. Before installing it, I was going to clean off a fingerprint on my CPU but all that was in the house was nail polish remover. I dabbed a cotton ball w/nail polish remover on the CPU, gently wiped it off with a napkin, and waited 10 minutes for it to completely dry and look clean. I then installed the heatsink that came with the CPU(with thermal paste already applied) and everything else normally.

Could using nail polish somehow disrupt the fill/spread of the thermal paste, causing the CPU to overheat and not allow my computer to start?