Boot issues

After a power outage my computer won't boot. At the first screen (HP logo) there are several options to choose from, the second screen is the Windows Recovery and there are only 2 options verses the normal 3 and no timer and if I remove the the battery I can get an additional screen between those two. If I try, on any of the 3 screens, to select any option the number lock light comes on and the computer hangs. I cannot even get to the BIOS. After taking the battery out I was able to see that it recognizes the hard drive and all 3 sticks of RAM. I have tried one stick of RAM at a time and in different slots, all appear to be good. I have tried booting from a recovery disk but when I hit a key to confirm booting from it the computer again hangs.

The power supply is a weak stock unit, if it is failing could it cause these symptoms? My other guess is a bad processor. Does either of these guesses sound right?

Any insight or suggestions would be very appreciated.

I have a HP p6616f running Win 7 64bit with 6gb of RAM. The computer is less than a year old with only stock parts in/on it.
3 answers Last reply
More about boot issues
  1. You are correct! The power supply would be the first thing to check. Generally, CPUs do not go bad that easy.
  2. The computer is less than a year old, give HP a ring and ask for an engineer or send it in for repair.
  3. Here is HP's guide with some trouble-shooting tips: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02054803.pdf
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Boot Computers Hewlett Packard Components