Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Freezing very randomly

Last response: in Systems
May 27, 2011 6:33:12 AM

Hello guys, recently built a new system and im having problems with hard freezing... my computer would freeze Anytime when i use it, be it watching a video on youtube, opening skype or teamspeak, running black ops or modern warfare 2..
i have looked for so many solutions online:

Updating the bios,
setting the ram voltage to 1.60 and putting it to 1333mhz,
uninstall, re-install video drivers,
clean up the registry with CCCleaner,
running memtest overnight for each stick
running prime95

still it would freeze :( 

im really close to ripping my hair out of my head :cry: 

i gladly appreciate the help guys...

here are my system specs:

Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.06ghz (stock fan)
Evga X58 Sli3 motherboard
Evga Gtx 560ti SC DS
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb)
Raidmax 630w modular Psu
May 27, 2011 7:10:34 AM

Looks most likely to be a GPU issue (assuming it DOESN'T crash on Prime95 - you don't actually say). Check GPU power cables are all hooked up (i.e. make sure it getting enough power), and then try underclocking your factory overclocked GPU with Rivatuner. It might be that the when your GPU is switching to "performance mode", the Superclock GTX560Ti is going beyond capability. Try running it at standard GTX560Ti stock speeds (823MHz I think it is for GPU, and 4008MHz memory clock). If this fixes your stability issues, then you should RMA the card for a new one.
m
l
May 27, 2011 11:05:28 AM

hey i also am having same problem, my pc freezes twice in 3hrs average use, even when just 1 program running, i also tried everything,
i formatted the pc, downloaded latest software compatible, put the gpu in standard mode, cpu my temps are fine 45c, gpu temp 41c, checked the memory and still its freezing.and i finally thought the psu is not powerful enough cause i only use 600watts. planning of changing it to higher wattage(800W).
maybe your 650watts also aint enough.
my specs is kinda similar with yours:

i7 950 (coolermaster hyper212 plus)
intel dx58OG mboard
12gb kingston ddr3 1333
evga gts 450 graphics card
western digital 500G sata3(6gb/s)
fsp everest 600w
m
l
Related resources
May 27, 2011 5:02:05 PM

got it nitrium :)  but im wondering, why does it also give me a hard freeze on simple websites such as skpe and youtube? last night i uninstalled drivers and re-installed the gpu... if that still gives me a freeze, ill underclock it..
on a different perspective would you think its also my PSU thats not giving enough juice? cuz i read reviews (and friend says) that its crap.. or would you say its a software problem (i.e. anti-virus?)
m
l
May 27, 2011 5:12:18 PM

yeah oby20, i think so too, im planning on getting a corsair 800w psu tomorrow since ill be doing sli in the future.. and see if that works, if it doesn't... means it can only be 2 things, RMA for my board or GPU...
m
l
May 28, 2011 12:18:56 AM

kris0824 said:
got it nitrium :)  but im wondering, why does it also give me a hard freeze on simple websites such as skpe and youtube?

Flash content (e.g. YouTube and Skype) are actually both hardware (i.e. GPU) accelerated. Your GPU will definitely go into "performance mode, when you use any websites/apps that employ flash video, games, effects, banners etc. Also apps like Adobe Reader and Photoshop are now GPU accelerated.

on a different perspective would you think its also my PSU thats not giving enough juice? cuz i read reviews (and friend says) that its crap.. or would you say its a software problem (i.e. anti-virus?) said:
on a different perspective would you think its also my PSU thats not giving enough juice? cuz i read reviews (and friend says) that its crap.. or would you say its a software problem (i.e. anti-virus?)

It's certainly possible, but not very likely IMO: 650W should be more than enough to power your system including the GTX560Ti. Not the first thing I'd suspect myself in this case, but of course you can never be sure.
m
l
May 28, 2011 9:27:51 AM

@nitrium:
bro, thank you for all the help and info :)  right now my computer hasnt froze yet, been playing with it for 6hrs already...
i looked online about my graphics card and how much juice it needs, apparently, it needs about 30a on the 12v+ rail
and recently i saw that my raidmax 630w psu 12v+ only gives 20a... i just bought a thermaltake 850w black widow that gives 69a on the 12v+ rail.. (so i can SLI two of these GPU's in the future)

yes im stupid lol... :pt1cable:  i guess thats where the problem lies...

but what do you think if i just bought a Corsair 800w(non modular) vs this Thermaltake 850w(semi-modular)?
there's only like 4a difference on the 12v+ rail... :bounce: 
m
l
May 28, 2011 1:51:01 PM

i just solved my freezing prob, its about the memory, the auto mobo set up is making my ram run more than its default, my ram is kingston ddr3 1067, its at 1.5v and the mobo setting is making it 1.53v, i have 6 pc module, at bios setup i drop it down manually at 1.50v, since then, i am, using it for the whole night and now the whole day and it didnt freeze. i guess my 600w psu is fine. i can suggest you a very good psu, FSP EVEREST is a very good psu, because FSP computes and rates the total power based on its 80plus efficiency. thats the difference of FSP to many rival manufacturers like silverstone, thermaltake, raidmax etc. if your raidmax has 650w total power as it is labeled, and it is 80% efficient, its total useful power is only 520w, and the 130w is wasted. unlike the fsp if it is labeled 600w it is based on the efficiency, and its real total power is 750w. in fact my gpu evga gts 450 requires 22a on 12v rail but my fsp everest 600w only has 18a each on 12v rail and it diodnt have any problem.

see how the fsp everest 600w beats out the silverstone 1000w as per price performance ratio.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/practical-power-silverstone...
m
l
May 28, 2011 10:56:06 PM

kris0824 said:
@nitrium:
bro, thank you for all the help and info :)  right now my computer hasnt froze yet, been playing with it for 6hrs already...
i looked online about my graphics card and how much juice it needs, apparently, it needs about 30a on the 12v+ rail
and recently i saw that my raidmax 630w psu 12v+ only gives 20a... i just bought a thermaltake 850w black widow that gives 69a on the 12v+ rail.. (so i can SLI two of these GPU's in the future)

Ahh, ok. So it was the GPU causing the freezing, but it is not defective as I thought at first. Just that when it switches to "performance mode" it isn't getting enough juice from your PSU, and locks up your system. Makes sense. Underclocking would have worked to fix it too, since at lower frequencies the GPU will naturally draw less power - but then you might have (and me too!) incorrectly assumed the GPU was bad, which it isn't.

but what do you think if i just bought a Corsair 800w(non modular) vs this Thermaltake 850w(semi-modular)?
there's only like 4a difference on the 12v+ rail... :bounce: said:
there's only like 4a difference on the 12v+ rail... :bounce: 

Both are good PSUs. I prefer the modular supplies myself, just cos they cut down on the clutter - but if you're using most of the cables anyway, that's not so important.
m
l
May 28, 2011 11:04:15 PM

roger, but i dont wanna underclock this beast :D  i wanted it to be a beast lol..
i decided to keep my thermaltake 850w PSU.. cuz right now im having problems in cable management on this mid tower GMC H-80 case... damn, thanks for all the help bro..
m
l
May 31, 2011 9:00:36 PM

guess what... computer froze again.. RMA my card and see... if it still freezes, then i've narrowed it down to my motherboard.
m
l
May 31, 2011 9:12:20 PM

kris0824 said:
guess what... computer froze again.. RMA my card and see... if it still freezes, then i've narrowed it down to my motherboard.

Lame. Did you try underclocking the card? That would have verified it as the culprit, if it was stable at lower clock speeds.
m
l
June 1, 2011 1:31:39 AM

uh no dude, i just decided to RMA it... cuz right now i have my old GTS 250 and i've to encounter a freeze yet...
one more thing about the GTX 560ti, whenever after i play Black ops no matter how many hours, then i go to youtube... thats when i freeze... i did it 2 times and it gave the same outcome. so i swapped with my old card and played black ops then went to youtube and it didnt freeze.. very weird lol
m
l

Best solution

June 1, 2011 2:37:20 AM

kris0824 said:
uh no dude, i just decided to RMA it... cuz right now i have my old GTS 250 and i've to encounter a freeze yet...
one more thing about the GTX 560ti, whenever after i play Black ops no matter how many hours, then i go to youtube... thats when i freeze... i did it 2 times and it gave the same outcome. so i swapped with my old card and played black ops then went to youtube and it didnt freeze.. very weird lol

I'd say not your mobo then (since your old card works). Bad GPU. I was right all along ;) .
June 1, 2011 4:56:25 AM

lol i hope u are bro! crossing fingers!
m
l
June 3, 2011 12:49:43 AM

will update you soon man, cuz im still here at work..
m
l
June 3, 2011 11:46:29 PM

Best answer selected by kris0824.
m
l
!