Which Graphic card to choose ???????

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hi :)

I am really confused for which card should i opt for my pc ??? whether i should go for the ATI's graphic card or for the Nvidias ?

money is not a constrain , i am just confused which one is more better ????? there are many varieties of card both of the companies are available in the market but don't know which one to chose ?
i wanna play games like Halo 1,2 and 3 and many other hard core FPS games and racing one and fifa too ^^
Please help :bounce:

4745454b

Titan
For the end user there is little difference between the two. You'll basically plug in the card, attach the needed power cords, load the driver and be able to play whatever games the card is capable of. The two biggest differences an end user would see is that AMD cards tend to provide a similar level of performance at a cheaper price, while Nvidia provides the ability to perform PhysX on their cards. Not all games support PhsyX, so unless you play the ~20 games that do you won't care about that.

What's your budget? Resolution? System Specs?

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Any card huh? No budget either? well, go with the best then. Two tangible options and one about a week away.

AMD 6990
EVGA GTX 460 2win

and soon to be: GTX 590.

Be less vague. Price limits, power suppy rating, space in your case...these things are more important than you asking what the best card in existance is.

As 4745454b said which one AMD or Nvidia really makes little difference day to day. Personally if i wanted Video capabilities i would side with AMD or for Gaming i would toss a coin or look for bang for buck, PhysX would be a consideration with a more powerful card.
What the main thing to consider is that you don't want to have a card that is over or under kill for the rest of your system. So if you let us know what the rest of the system is we can offer suggestions and information about balanced options for your PC.

Mactronix :)

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
It doesn't realy matter which you go with - for every Nvidia card there is an AMD equivelant.
My own personal preference is always Nvidia for gaming as long as price is comparable. This is simply because I have found AMD drivers to be more inconvenient than Nvidia - for some reason installing the latest can fail with catalyst for AMD whereas I have never had issues with Nvidia.
Also, because Nvidia tend to be closely associated wit many game devs they tend to have better support upon release - this is the main reason I tend to go with Nvidia, because otherwise I am only interested in going with whichever manufacturer is givingme the best for my money.
So, if one manufacturer has a clear winner for performance and price I happily go with them (I went with AMD 5850 earlier in the year becasue at the time there was no contest as it was a far better design than the GX 465) but if they are pretty much like for like I side with Nvidia

simonyee04

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006

Hi,
What brand of power supply are you using?

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I am sorry not to give u my pc specifications
well its

Inter core i5 750
mother board : MSI P55GD65
3 GB DDR3 RAM of 1333 Mhz
600 Watts PSU from OCZ
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
LG-W2243T monitor Resolution : 1920x1080

and @joshyboy82 : Well to be honest i wanted to know the best card and ok my budget is of Rs 60,000 (Indian Rupees and equivalent to around 1330 $ (USD) ) and space inside the cabinet is enough , so don't worry and sorry for not providing the information before

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
That power supply is your weakest link. 600w with what you are using now doesn't leave much overhead. Your best bets are:

GTX 560 ti
AMD 6950

but neither of those will cost more than US $250. If you upgraded to a 850w, you could put any single card in your system, as long as it fit. What case do you have?

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
@ joshboy82 : Thanks fr the reply ^^
btw since the rate of the cards u told are nto so high so i can get a power supply of that power that u have mentioned , so if i get a powersupply unit of that power then what other cards will be best suited then ??????

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Do you plan to overclock your processor? You should stick with your current PSU and get a AMD 6950. That will be around the limits of your system. When future games start to play slow and low, you're starting from scratch on a new PC.

If you needed more graphic muscle, you'd have to upgrade your PSU to install a second 6950. If you installed a second card in crossfire, your CPU would be bottlenecking your system.

In short, stick with what you have now, buy a single AMD 6950 from a good brand, I like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125372