Closed Solved

CPU possibly running too hot?

I have an core i5-2500 on stock speed with stock cooler and with arctic silver 5 compound, I have 2 intake fans in the front, 1 side blowing out, 1 rear blowing out, and 1 top blowhole. My idle CPU temps according too hardware monitor is around 45 Celsius idle, and when i immediately run Prime 95 after 30 seconds the temps jump up to 95 Celsius on core 0. I believe this is a problem... am i wrong? Why am i getting such high temps at stock clock speed?
37 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about possibly running
  1. this could be normal with the stock cooler if you live in a hot area, have you experienced this before ? did you try to disable Smart Fan and see how degrees look like ? according to your layout of fans, don't you have any fans for intake air ?
  2. not normal at all, uninstal the reinstall the application
    if you get the same result
    remove the heat sink
    reapply the paste test
    maybe you scratched off some paste on the one core
  3. There is definitely an issue with the heatsink mount or CPU voltage being too high for some reason. You only want a very thin film of thermal paste not a thick layer.
  4. I have two intake fans in the front.

    uninstall what application?

    And the 95 degree temp is not just on core 0, every core is 90-95 with prime 95

    Beenthere, you may be right, i might have put on too thick of thermal paste.
  5. So i took the HSF off and reaplied thermal paste a little thinner, Now my temps are in the 50's idle and still in the 90's with prime 95. What am i doing wrong?????
  6. Best answer
    It's most likely the push pins aren't all seated fully. That is one of the gripes with Intel's stock cooler is the installation can be a pain to get right, especially when the mobo is in the case already.
  7. (1) Did you verify that a 4 white nubs are sticking out correctly - Most common cause of high temps when using Intel HSF. Recommmend whating a video on installation if you have not already done so. The Stock HSF should be able to keep temps below 90 C under Load with an ambient temp of 22 C. If HSF is installed correctly and load temps still high, recommend checking case cooling by removing side panel and use a household fan blowing into case. to check.

    The Intel Stock HSF should only be used as either a door stop or left in the box to keep it from blowing away. In addition to being probmatic on install, they are at the Bottom of the list in termes of performance. I do NOT even install automatically order a 3rd party HSF.

    (2) Try side fan Blowing in.
    On My system 1 rear (out) front 2 x (IN), top (OUT) and side NONE and Taped vent holes.
  8. Cygnus x-1 said:
    It's most likely the push pins aren't all seated fully. That is one of the gripes with Intel's stock cooler is the installation can be a pain to get right, especially when the mobo is in the case already.

    yes that could be the most rational possibility, in addition try to touch the heatsink itself when it's in IDLE mode and see if it's really getting that hot.
  9. I think you are right, i was having trouble getting the 1 pin in but i thought i had it in good enough i could be wrong though, after work i will try to reseat it.

    as for aftermarket coolers, could you recommend one that is pretty cheap because i am on a strict budget, I was thinking maybe the CORSAIR CAFA50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181012&Tpk=corsair%20a50
  10. if you're not an overclocker, Hyper 212+ would be the best option
  11. ilysaml said:
    if you're not an overclocker, Hyper 212+ would be the best option

    Hyper 212 is great for an overclocker.
  12. The stock fan is fine if your not overclocking, just get that puppy seated correctly.
  13. i get 75C @ 4.1 in full load 43C IDLE, stock speed 34C idle, 60C at full load what do you think ?
  14. ilysaml said:
    i get 75C @ 4.1 in full load 43C IDLE, stock speed 34C idle, 60C at full load what do you think ?

    I think your cooler isnt seated correctly, or you need to reapply the thermal compound. I get no more than 30c at full load with the hyper 212.
  15. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/coolermaster_hyper_212_plus/4.htm
    never heard before what you're saying no one get's 30 C at full load, maybe with a liquid nitrogen :D
  16. Just ordered hyper 212 plus.
  17. hermz1337 said:
    Just ordered hyper 212 plus.

    great, look here at Tom's for reviews shows the installation tips of it and use the thermal grease that comes with it as it makes my cooler steady like a mountain :)
  18. ilysaml said:
    i get 75C @ 4.1 in full load 43C IDLE, stock speed 34C idle, 60C at full load what do you think ?


    Those temps seem within normal range IMO.
  19. ilysaml said:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/coolermaster_hyper_212_plus/4.htm
    never heard before what you're saying no one get's 30 C at full load, maybe with a liquid nitrogen :D

    if youa re saying im full of *** then i can post a pic. heres some reviews.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
    Looks like im not the only one with a 30c load and low 20's idle with an overclock.
  20. hermz1337 said:
    Those temps seem within normal range IMO.

    not a normal range, you can get a maximum of 60 or 62 with a water cooling like Corsair H70 and you can play in 60s with a V6GT
  21. FlintIronStagg said:
    if youa re saying im full of *** then i can post a pic. heres some reviews.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
    Looks like im not the only one with a 30c load and low 20's idle with an overclock.

    i can't see anything in the link you provided but a review of the CPU cooler, don't get the reading of the On-Die sensor just the reading of the Mobo sensor and the 3rd party software like ET6
  22. ilysaml said:
    not a normal range, you can get a maximum of 60 or 62 with a water cooling like Corsair H70 and you can play in 60s with a V6GT


    Please clarify your post, 43 c idle overclocked and stock speed 34 c with stock cooler is in normal range, how is it not?
  23. * well i have the 1055T clocked at 2.8 (the default clock) when i'm running it at that speed i get 34 degrees at idle mode, when i'm gaming and working on a multitask applications i get 57 degrees expanding to 60 (CPU is 96% in taskmgr)
    * when i'm overclocking @ 4.1 the temp on idle is 43 due to the overvoltage 1.5V and 75 degrees expanding to 77 or 78 when playing games and running applications on the background. :)
  24. ilysaml said:
    i can't see anything in the link you provided but a review of the CPU cooler, don't get the reading of the On-Die sensor just the reading of the Mobo sensor and the 3rd party software like ET6

    click on the feedback tab on the link i posted
  25. ilysaml said:
    * well i have the 1055T clocked at 2.8 (the default clock) when i'm running it at that speed i get 34 degrees at idle mode, when i'm gaming and working on a multitask applications i get 57 degrees expanding to 60 (CPU is 96% in taskmgr)
    * when i'm overclocking @ 4.1 the temp on idle is 43 due to the overvoltage 1.5V and 75 degrees expanding to 77 or 78 when playing games and running applications on the background. :)


    So my previous post was correct, his temps ARE in normal range. Your latest post just confirmed what i stated. So, back to this, how am I wrong?


    PS: Thank you everybody for the quick and informative responses, they were of great help!
  26. FlintIronStagg said:
    click on the feedback tab on the link i posted

    you said you get 30C on full load, they are saying they getting 30C idle and 60 full load, and that's what i said
  27. Dropped my temperature signifcantly. (Before: 45C idle / 53 load. After: 26C idle / 30C load)

    Dropped temp 5C at the min, up to 10C or more at load (50-55 to 40-45 with load).
    Pros: - Dropped my temperature signifcantly. (Before: 45C idle / 53 load. After: 26C idle / 30C load)
    Pros: This thing IS AMAZING runs a 965 o.c to 4.1ghz and idles at 31 with load only hits 36 ...
    Pros: Awesome Mounting. Very secure. Fits and cools my 1090T like a glove keeping it at 28 C on idle and 49 C max load

    These were copy/pasted from newegg in no particular order. seems to me you have high temps even for a 6 core
    My cpu runs 22-26 while surfing and such while 30c max when i game. Ive played witcher 2 for hours and never went past 30c. Am I wrong for having low temps? I was just trying to help you out and you made it into a " nu-uhhh" war.
  28. FlintIronStagg said:
    Dropped my temperature signifcantly. (Before: 45C idle / 53 load. After: 26C idle / 30C load)

    Dropped temp 5C at the min, up to 10C or more at load (50-55 to 40-45 with load).
    Pros: - Dropped my temperature signifcantly. (Before: 45C idle / 53 load. After: 26C idle / 30C load)
    Pros: This thing IS AMAZING runs a 965 o.c to 4.1ghz and idles at 31 with load only hits 36 ...
    Pros: Awesome Mounting. Very secure. Fits and cools my 1090T like a glove keeping it at 28 C on idle and 49 C max load

    These were copy/pasted from newegg in no particular order. seems to me you have high temps even for a 6 core
    Am I wrong for having low temps? I was just trying to help you out and you made it into a " nu-uhhh" war.

    post a pic of CPU-Z, Prime 95 torture test, HWMonitor, Core Temp, Black Box if you know about it ... when the CPu is overclocked at 4.1
    if you're trying to say that you hit 36C at full load when the processor is overclocked then NO Company would produce any huger aftermarket CPU cooler will only be the 212+ :)
    Note: what do you mean by load ? i mean by full load a 98% usage of the CPU
  29. I, sir, am bowing out of this- you for some reason want to be elite, i get it, but I am in no mood for someone to blow me up when i was just trying to help. Good day.
  30. lol.
  31. ilysaml said:
    great, look here at Tom's for reviews shows the installation tips of it and use the thermal grease that comes with it as it makes my cooler steady like a mountain :)


    The thermal grease that comes with the Hyper 212 Plus is better than the Arctic Silver 5???
  32. hermz1337 said:
    The thermal grease that comes with the Hyper 212 Plus is better than the Arctic Silver 5???

    no, i didn't know you got that thermal grease... A S is better for sure :)
  33. Oh okay thanks.
  34. Well i am happy to report after reseating the stock HSF my temps dropped dramatically, low 30's during idle, and in the 60's during Prime95, Thanks for all the help guys!
  35. Best answer selected by hermz1337.
  36. nice,good stuff
  37. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Product