CPU possibly running too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermz1337

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I have an core i5-2500 on stock speed with stock cooler and with arctic silver 5 compound, I have 2 intake fans in the front, 1 side blowing out, 1 rear blowing out, and 1 top blowhole. My idle CPU temps according too hardware monitor is around 45 Celsius idle, and when i immediately run Prime 95 after 30 seconds the temps jump up to 95 Celsius on core 0. I believe this is a problem... am i wrong? Why am i getting such high temps at stock clock speed?

Solution
It's most likely the push pins aren't all seated fully. That is one of the gripes with Intel's stock cooler is the installation can be a pain to get right, especially when the mobo is in the case already.
this could be normal with the stock cooler if you live in a hot area, have you experienced this before ? did you try to disable Smart Fan and see how degrees look like ? according to your layout of fans, don't you have any fans for intake air ?

hermz1337

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I have two intake fans in the front.

uninstall what application?

And the 95 degree temp is not just on core 0, every core is 90-95 with prime 95

Beenthere, you may be right, i might have put on too thick of thermal paste.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
It's most likely the push pins aren't all seated fully. That is one of the gripes with Intel's stock cooler is the installation can be a pain to get right, especially when the mobo is in the case already.

Solution
(1) Did you verify that a 4 white nubs are sticking out correctly - Most common cause of high temps when using Intel HSF. Recommmend whating a video on installation if you have not already done so. The Stock HSF should be able to keep temps below 90 C under Load with an ambient temp of 22 C. If HSF is installed correctly and load temps still high, recommend checking case cooling by removing side panel and use a household fan blowing into case. to check.

The Intel Stock HSF should only be used as either a door stop or left in the box to keep it from blowing away. In addition to being probmatic on install, they are at the Bottom of the list in termes of performance. I do NOT even install automatically order a 3rd party HSF.

(2) Try side fan Blowing in.
On My system 1 rear (out) front 2 x (IN), top (OUT) and side NONE and Taped vent holes.

yes that could be the most rational possibility, in addition try to touch the heatsink itself when it's in IDLE mode and see if it's really getting that hot.

i can't see anything in the link you provided but a review of the CPU cooler, don't get the reading of the On-Die sensor just the reading of the Mobo sensor and the 3rd party software like ET6

hermz1337

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Please clarify your post, 43 c idle overclocked and stock speed 34 c with stock cooler is in normal range, how is it not?

* well i have the 1055T clocked at 2.8 (the default clock) when i'm running it at that speed i get 34 degrees at idle mode, when i'm gaming and working on a multitask applications i get 57 degrees expanding to 60 (CPU is 96% in taskmgr)
* when i'm overclocking @ 4.1 the temp on idle is 43 due to the overvoltage 1.5V and 75 degrees expanding to 77 or 78 when playing games and running applications on the background. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.