iamthemdm

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hello everyone,

Specs first:

Mobo:Asus P6TSE
CPU: Intel i7 920 2.66
GPU: Asus EAH 4890
PSU: Chieftec 1000W Modular (Good 12v Amperage)
2X HDD WD Velociraptor 320GB
4X External HDD (2X Teac, 2X Seagate)
3X 2Gb Corsair Memory Sticks DDR3
H70 Corsair Hydroseries

O.K., so I've been experiencing these random reboots at seemingly increasing intervals that have become seriously annoying. They mostly seem to happen while playing games (screen freezes, sound loops and then either the comp reboots, or I have to hold the power switch to shut down and perform a hard reboot, as the reset switch won't work) but it can also happen while idle, or even while booting into windows (but that mostly happens after a game crash as described above). The problem seemed to go away when the pc would completely refuse to boot due to HDD corruption, forcing me to buy a new HDD and do a clean install of Win7 ultimate (Vista being the previous OS). However, now , after more or less a month, the problem has come back leading me to believe the HDD corruption, occured because of the numerous unexpected reboots. Windows debugger and minidumps describe the error as XO7E (a very common bugcheck, seems to be the debugger's opinion making me long for the 80's and DOS V 2.0) putting the blame on atikmdag.sys. Things I've tried so far: 1)Tried every catalyst driver from 9.1 to 11.5 (Clean installations using Driver Sweeper. 2)Tried reseating the GPu. 3)Installed only the Catalyst driver without the CCC. 4)Extensive memtesting with no errors. 5)Prime,furmark, 3D mark passed with ease. 6)A different PCI slot for the GPu 7)Booting with no USB devices attached 8)Booting with only 1 stick of ram 9)Disabling C-State in Bios 10)Overclocking Ram Voltage 11)Overclocking/downclocking the GPU by a few Mhz. 12)It is not malware! 13)Setting power plan to high performance 14)Core Temp reports 35c idle and 57-60 C while playing DDO. I think I've narrowed it down to the GPU or PSU. Any thoughts before I go out to spend 500quid on a GTX 570 and a Corsair power supply?

Thnx everyone

George_

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
OK, it's like someone playing with us. I have the same PSU, the same GPU, Q6600 CPU and I have the same problem with unexpected restarts all the time.
I also have done the most of your solving actions (except the step no.11) with no result.
Finally, I think is the PSU problem under heavy loads.
And it's only 3 years old.

George_

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

No, finally it doesn't the PSU. Today I have bought a new 650watt PSU and the same problem remains (Unexpected restarts).
After that, I change the GPU with an old one of a friend (NVidia 6600GTS) and everything rolling good.
My ATI4890 was the problem.