Computer shutting down after power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

runf

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hello,
I have a i7-950 and an Asus Sabertooth that's been running great for a year.
The power went off and on about 3 times in row during a thunderstorm today. Since then, my computer has shut off about 3 times. This is a total, very quick shut down. I've had some experience with a computer over heating in the past so I checked it out with PC probe. While playing Fear 3 it said the CPU was at 90c and PC probe thought that was high (according to it's presets which I really don't know much about) and was warning me. At idle it is about 50c. I don't know for sure if that's my problem but it sure is suspicious. I guess my question is, what is the most likely to have gotten fried to cause this problem? Thanks.

Solution
Yup, that's the problem. Those CPU's are known to run hot, but 90'C is more or less considered "dangerous". The shutdown is a direct result of the motherboard trying to prevent frying of the CPU. I would recommend re-doing the build, making sure nothing is obviously damaged and that the CPU and cooler is properly seated. If it is overclocked, remove the overclocking immediately. It can also be the PSU/motherboard being damaged from the lighting storms causing this, so it's worth taking out the motherboard and checking all components (specifically capacitors) for bulging, leaking or discoloring. All this may easily indicate a now broken motherboard.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Yup, that's the problem. Those CPU's are known to run hot, but 90'C is more or less considered "dangerous". The shutdown is a direct result of the motherboard trying to prevent frying of the CPU. I would recommend re-doing the build, making sure nothing is obviously damaged and that the CPU and cooler is properly seated. If it is overclocked, remove the overclocking immediately. It can also be the PSU/motherboard being damaged from the lighting storms causing this, so it's worth taking out the motherboard and checking all components (specifically capacitors) for bulging, leaking or discoloring. All this may easily indicate a now broken motherboard.

Solution

runf_40

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Thanks. I'm not overclocked and I can't imagine that anything came unseated so I'm guessing motherboard. I'm going to take a look at it for sure but I'm really not looking forward to this. :) I built this computer but I don't know if I have the time or energy to do any in depth trouble shooting. This is probably heresy around here, but how is Best Buy geek squad? Do they have diagnostic tools to quickly determine what part is bad?
Anybody?
Thanks again.

runf_40

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

Yes, thank you. That's the first thing I did. It's spinning as are all the other fans.

runf

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
The stock fan was not seated properly. Why it happened at exactly the same time as the power went on an off is a mystery but I guess it was Murphy at work. Fixed it and got better temps but not good enough (now that I am more aware), so I got a Zalman fan that SCREWS into the motherboard instead of those awful pegs. Much better now. Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.