Looking for some GPU Advice

rebelcapitalist

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU since I need a second one for a HTPC anyway.

Gaming resolution: 1280 x 720 (I'm playing on a 720p 3D projector--can't stand little monitors)

Current Card: Radeon HD 5700

Games: Crysis 2, Civ V, Metro 2033, Fallout 3 / New Vegas, Oblivion, Homefront, DCUO, etc.

My budget is $0-$200, but I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Given my lower resolution, not sure what I need for maxed out gaming. I will probably rebuild everything at the end of the year, so not looking to "future proof" much at all.

I'm fine with ATI or Nvidia cards.

Thanks

Well you really don't need to upgrade, Are you planning to put the 5770 in the HTPC and want to upgrade yours for something that will last a bit longer at the same resolution ?
If so depending on the time frame for needing the HTPC up and running i would tend towards waiting for Crysis 2 benchmark tests to come out and see what the various levels of cards bring to the game. As an example i have played the original Crysis on a X1650 XT and a 2600XT but when i played it on a 3850 it was like a different game visually.

This could be the case with this game, something like a 6850 may have the ability to enable effects the 5770 cant but thats all guess work until reviews come out.

It may be that just getting a low end HTPC card like a 5550 now for teh HTPC and then getting your upgrade when you know whats what would be the better option. There will be a good size market for second hand 5770's so selling yours to off set the cost of a new card is a valid option as well.

Mactronix :)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Motherboard and PSU?

if possible, adding a second GPU would likely be the best option (which 5700 card do you have though? 5770?)

otherwise, a 6850 would be a nice jump. my single 6850 played the crysis 2 demo at max with an excellent frame rate. but obviously, i don't know about the full game yet.

The integrated graphics of a sandy bridge cpu should be good for a HTPC; you probably won't have a need for a discrete graphics card.

To help assess your current needs, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics card.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

rebelcapitalist

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

My current GPU is: GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

My CPU is a quad core 3.2mhz AMD 955 BE.

The MoBo is: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX