Looking for some GPU Advice

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 17, 2011 8:14:13 AM

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU since I need a second one for a HTPC anyway.

Gaming resolution: 1280 x 720 (I'm playing on a 720p 3D projector--can't stand little monitors)

Current Card: Radeon HD 5700

Games: Crysis 2, Civ V, Metro 2033, Fallout 3 / New Vegas, Oblivion, Homefront, DCUO, etc.

My budget is $0-$200, but I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Given my lower resolution, not sure what I need for maxed out gaming. I will probably rebuild everything at the end of the year, so not looking to "future proof" much at all.

I'm fine with ATI or Nvidia cards.

Thanks

More about : gpu advice

a c 131 U Graphics card
March 17, 2011 9:07:41 AM

Well you really don't need to upgrade, Are you planning to put the 5770 in the HTPC and want to upgrade yours for something that will last a bit longer at the same resolution ?
If so depending on the time frame for needing the HTPC up and running i would tend towards waiting for Crysis 2 benchmark tests to come out and see what the various levels of cards bring to the game. As an example i have played the original Crysis on a X1650 XT and a 2600XT but when i played it on a 3850 it was like a different game visually.

This could be the case with this game, something like a 6850 may have the ability to enable effects the 5770 cant but thats all guess work until reviews come out.

It may be that just getting a low end HTPC card like a 5550 now for teh HTPC and then getting your upgrade when you know whats what would be the better option. There will be a good size market for second hand 5770's so selling yours to off set the cost of a new card is a valid option as well.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2011 9:30:27 AM

Motherboard and PSU?

if possible, adding a second GPU would likely be the best option (which 5700 card do you have though? 5770?)

otherwise, a 6850 would be a nice jump. my single 6850 played the crysis 2 demo at max with an excellent frame rate. but obviously, i don't know about the full game yet.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 530 U Graphics card
March 17, 2011 1:33:32 PM

The integrated graphics of a sandy bridge cpu should be good for a HTPC; you probably won't have a need for a discrete graphics card.

To help assess your current needs, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics card.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
m
l
March 17, 2011 3:48:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.

My current GPU is: GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

My CPU is a quad core 3.2mhz AMD 955 BE.

The MoBo is: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
m
l