Do I need a switch or a router?

G

Right now, I have a single system, with a DSL modem connection (the external modem is supplied by my provider). I'm planning to build a new system. In order to share the Internet connection (preferrably, under the same IP), do I need a router? Or would a switch suffice?

Leo

FatBurger

Illustrious
What OS do you have? If you have NT/2000, you can use two network cards and share the connection with a switch. Otherwise, you need to run it through a router.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

Hmm... I'm planning to have dual-boot Win2k/Win98 systems. So, you're saying Win98 would require a router?

Leo

FatBurger

Illustrious
The one you would use as the server (with two network cards) would require 2000. The other one can be either.

G

Why would I need two network cards? To connect one computer to another, and then one of them to the router? But why can't I, having a 4-port switch or router, just connect each computer to different ports of the said switch or router? And the DSL modem to yet another port.

At least, that was my understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Leo

FatBurger

Illustrious
That's why you buy a router. You connect two PCs to two ports, and the modem to another port. The router acts as a network server.

If you don't use a router, you need to use two network cards in the PC to use as the server. One with the DSL going in, one with the network connection going out. Then you can use a switch (or a hub). And you need W2k.

A router is far less trouble, but more expensive.

G

Oh, I see now. Thanks! A router it is, then. :) Why take up a PCI slot when a router is only some $50 more expensive than a switch?

Leo

FatBurger

Illustrious
You could use a hub instead of a switch and save some $, but a router is the easiest way to go. You don't have to administrate it that way, either.

G

Windows 98SE/ME/W2K have ICS built in (Internet Connection Sharing)(not sure if NT has it). Every other flavor of windows can do internet sharing through third-party add-ons (sygate, wingate, etc...).

I'd use a router still... easier to maintain (and you don't rely on one machine being up (the 'server/gateway') to use another one).

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, I agree. I just didn't know how much $ you were willing to spend.
Some people look at the internet setup bills, the monthly bills, etc. and don't want to add something else.