Add network storage to library.

normz

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hello All,

I have a NAS that I use to store all my music/downloads on. I use a Zune pass and have had no issues with Windows 7 downloading from Zune and playing them on my PC. I am using a SSD as my boot drive.

I just installed Windows 8 and when I try to add the library which in this case is

\\nsa221\music

I get an error saying that I can not add this location to library because it can not be indexed. I have disabled indexing (for the most part a little different than Win7) but can not add this location. Has anyone else had this problem or found a work around?

Thanks,

normz

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

I have mapped it, and I still get the error when adding it to the library:

"This network location can't be included because it is not indexed.

N:\"

Under the error there is a link that says.

"How can this folder be indexed?"

It gives me two options:

1. Offline Files

2. Manually add the folder (This is what I tried first)

Looks like I will have to mess with offline files.. however it does not seem to be working.
If I do get it working I guess I can set up a sync to my hard drive from my NAS (seems pretty stupid).

What is very strange is when I look at the indexing options for the computer music is not even indexed.. in fact I removed almost everything since I am running off of an SSD. (One of the reasons I bought the NAS in the first place.)

normz

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Not sure what you mean by mounted drive. I mapped it just like you would map any other network drive. It comes up under network location in Computer. Yes I can access it through the browser. I can access it just fine through explorer as well. It is not a connection problem. The issue is that I can not add it to the library. I can see/open files just fine if I just navigate to them.

psugrad1999

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I have found that media player and media center recognized a mapped drive, but the metro apps will only recognize indexable drives which do not include NAS. I'm hoping the aps are updated for mapped drives since I also have an NAS with mapped drives.

kjb434

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

I'm really hoping the final version does allow the the ability to have NAS storage work through the libraries (without indexing).

I've gotten Windows Media Player to do this perfectly on my Win8 RP and my HTPC Win7 device. My HTCP it works great because Media Center use the WMP catalog that is built.

congtastic

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

TRENDING THREADS