Which Slide Scanning Quality?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 27, 2005 5:53:02 PM

I am confused as to the best options to choose when having slides
scanned by a professional scanning firm in Tiff format

Firstly, there is a choice of resolutions - 1350, 2700 or 4000 dpi.
Secondly, the choice is either 8-bit or 16 bit.

I am aiming to have prints made from the scans after they have been
edited - mostly 5"x7" - possibly some larger, up to 8"x10".

It has been suggested to me that for 5x7" prints there is no point in
going higher than 1350 dpi/8bit as the quality will be very good at
this level

I will be grateful if I could have an explanation as to the size of
print for which each of the different scanning quality combinations
would be most suitable.

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, England

More about : slide scanning quality

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 10:05:25 PM

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> I am confused as to the best options to choose when having slides
> scanned by a professional scanning firm in Tiff format
>
> Firstly, there is a choice of resolutions - 1350, 2700 or 4000 dpi.
> Secondly, the choice is either 8-bit or 16 bit.
>
> I am aiming to have prints made from the scans after they have been
> edited - mostly 5"x7" - possibly some larger, up to 8"x10".
>
> It has been suggested to me that for 5x7" prints there is no point in
> going higher than 1350 dpi/8bit as the quality will be very good at
> this level
>
> I will be grateful if I could have an explanation as to the size of
> print for which each of the different scanning quality combinations
> would be most suitable.
>
> Denis Boisclair
> Cheshire, England

visit this site:
www.scantips.com
It will tell you all you need to know.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

If there is no cost difference I would have them scanned at 4000 dpi
and 16 bits. Depending on the scanner you will be able to reduce the
effects of grain noise a bit better with a 4000 dpi scan.

Scott
February 28, 2005 3:19:54 AM

You may later decide you want to print larger images but if your scan is too
small to begin with you will not be able to do so.
For your purposes a 2700dpi scan in 8bit color would suffice for extremely
high quality printing to A size paper and beyond. There will also be enough
data so that you will be able to crop the image and still obtain good
quality prints.
If you do not know why you may need or want 16 bit color just say no.
February 28, 2005 5:04:51 AM

Many thanks to everyone who replied so quickly and with just the
information I was hoping for.

I had specified 2700 dpi and 8bit for a current batch of slides and I
now feel reassured.

Where would people like me be without rec.photo.digital and it's
knowledgable members - thanks again!

Denis
Cheshire, England
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 2:34:29 PM

<denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am confused as to the best options to choose when having slides
> scanned by a professional scanning firm in Tiff format
>
> Firstly, there is a choice of resolutions - 1350, 2700 or 4000 dpi.
> Secondly, the choice is either 8-bit or 16 bit.

And what if I wish to project the photos onto a screen using an LCD or
similar projector, what resolution is needed then?

Gerrit - who has always thought 4000dpi was the lowest needed for a quality
product
February 28, 2005 7:52:17 PM

denis@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> I am confused as to the best options to choose when having slides
> scanned by a professional scanning firm in Tiff format

Thats the bulkiest but loss less.

> Firstly, there is a choice of resolutions - 1350, 2700 or 4000 dpi.
> Secondly, the choice is either 8-bit or 16 bit.

1350 is a waste of time no quality at all - good for web pages.
2700 is good and a minimum figure to aim for.
4000 is the best but may start to show grain in the film where 2700
smoothes out the grain.

I had a 2700dpi scanner this gave top results to do most anything now
have a 4800dpi scanner and still think the 2700dpi better in some respects.

Most printers only print in 8 bit so 16 bit becomes pointless. Image
manipulation is mainly 8 bit.

> I am aiming to have prints made from the scans after they have been
> edited - mostly 5"x7" - possibly some larger, up to 8"x10".

Printing nowadays with digital prints either inkjet or chemical - 2700
would be sufficient. Still look at the opportunity to crop images when
editing and leave yourself some pixels to play with.

> It has been suggested to me that for 5x7" prints there is no point in
> going higher than 1350 dpi/8bit as the quality will be very good at
> this level

Translated makes sense for a 5x7 - But NO you will miss lots of
information at 1350dpi and the scans look crook - so will the prints.
Most printers only print in 8 bit so its not much point in going to 16 bit

> I will be grateful if I could have an explanation as to the size of
> print for which each of the different scanning quality combinations
> would be most suitable.

The standard quotation is 300dpi for the size which to print to - but
this is not strictly true for a digitised file its about half that. But
digital camera image will print better than a scanned film image.

!