Sign in with
Your question

Wondering about Monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 17, 2011 12:24:05 PM

I am trying to figure out what monitor to get.
I kinda was looking for a Full HD monitor "23 - 24", i am looking for amazing picture quality.

I found this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-P2370HD-23-inch-Widescr...

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Basically i am hoping to get amazing image quality.

I am sorry if this is posted under the wrong section i just could not find the place to post it.

More about : wondering monitors

Related resources
March 17, 2011 1:34:03 PM

ubercake said:
That is a decent monitor, though I would recommend going LED if you can:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-XL2370-LED-slim-Monitor...

I have this monitor on one of my PCs. No other monitor in my house (I have 4 others) offer the colors and viewing angles this one does.

Samsung-XL2370 vs LG W2486L

Both are led, and very similar in specs.
Samsung is cheaper by 11 GBP, but the LG get an extra 1 inch.
Is that the only difference or am i missing something ?

Samsung P2370HD vs Samsung-XL2370

Are they pretty much the same except 1 is led and 1 aint ?

Arent the led TFT TN based and only the back lighting is LED so its only saving electricity, but completely no improvement on image quality or ?
a b C Monitor
March 17, 2011 1:50:01 PM

Just looking at the specs it would appear these are the only differences. From an observational standpoint (of course subjective) the LED variety provides a better picture, better color and far better viewing angles compared to my Samsung LCD monitor of the xx70 series monitors.
March 23, 2011 8:51:26 PM

ubercake said:
Just looking at the specs it would appear these are the only differences. From an observational standpoint (of course subjective) the LED variety provides a better picture, better color and far better viewing angles compared to my Samsung LCD monitor of the xx70 series monitors.

Thank you very much took your advice and got myself the XL2370 :)  im using it now :) 
a c 193 C Monitor
March 23, 2011 9:09:28 PM

My response regarding LED backlight from another thread...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/59918-3-input-wives-t...

LCD monitors with LED backlight pros:
- Reduced power consumption
- Thinner because of edge backlighting instead of full array rear backlighting
- Lighter because of edge backlighting

LCD monitors with LED backlight cons:
- Edge backlighting generally means the backlight itself can be less consistent than a full array rear CCFL backlight
- Backlight bleeding along the edges are more prone to occur
- Some people have reported that colors are slightly bluish. This is because the LED backlight (a.k.a. W-LED) is not actually pure white light, but blue LEDs with a yellow phosphorous coating to imitate white
a c 193 C Monitor
March 23, 2011 9:13:29 PM

serenatous said:

Arent the led TFT TN based and only the back lighting is LED so its only saving electricity, but completely no improvement on image quality or ?

At the moment yes. Unless you want to spend a very large amount of money on an RGB-LED (which actually does create white light) backlit LCD monitor for professional graphic artists.

LG has developed e-IPS panels that uses LED backlight and they have announced a series of monitors that will use them. But there is no information about availability or pricing yet.
a c 193 C Monitor
March 23, 2011 9:28:33 PM

To the best of my knowledge Dell has not announced any LED backlit e-IPS monitors yet.

March 23, 2011 9:39:51 PM

jaguarskx said:
My response regarding LED backlight from another thread...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/59918-3-input-wives-t...

LCD monitors with LED backlight pros:
- Reduced power consumption
- Thinner because of edge backlighting instead of full array rear backlighting
- Lighter because of edge backlighting

LCD monitors with LED backlight cons:
- Edge backlighting generally means the backlight itself can be less consistent than a full array rear CCFL backlight
- Backlight bleeding along the edges are more prone to occur
- Some people have reported that colors are slightly bluish. This is because the LED backlight (a.k.a. W-LED) is not actually pure white light, but blue LEDs with a yellow phosphorous coating to imitate white

Thank you very much for the info, but to be honest the Samsung Xl2370 is amazing the color can not be better and to be honest its far from blueish its perfectly white :)  as white as snow :) )
So i am pretty happy with the advice and choice i ended up making :) ).
Color, picture is amazing compared to my older LG 19 flatron pretty old one it was the best lcd in the market when i got it lol
March 23, 2011 9:53:27 PM

Quote:
What is going go to power the monitor? What's your gpu setup?

Currently a 3870x2 by Gecube turbo III with factory OC
And to be honest amazing performance with 1 card alone, (finally the latest driver unleashed its full potential today :D  ) so running in Crossfirex now :) 

So far i play all game on high/ultra with no stutter or lag :)  (except crysis) and that was with 1 card alone. To be honest i think that i got lucky when i got my hands on Gecube version i think it is the best 1 in the 3xxx series runs crysis very well except for rare stutters :p . (my opinion anyways) now back to topic although i was thinking of upgrading my current one to a 560 TI although im still not sure
Check this link a thread i made: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312493-33-which-card-...

I am wondering which one of the cards i found (provided their links in the thread) from the 560ti would be the best choice, and also wondered if i would see a difference in performance and if there will be any difference or useless for now.

Forgot to also mention very poor performance in GTA4 with 1 card alone alot of stuttering, but havent tested it with the new drivers yet + crossfirex on :) 
March 23, 2011 9:54:50 PM

Quote:
what will be powering the monitor

To be honest the reason i thought of upgrading mostly was the issue of crossfirex not working finally the new drivers got it to work flawlessly.
And ofc the dx11 :D  boost :p 
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2011 10:34:45 PM

serenatous said:
Thank you very much took your advice and got myself the XL2370 :)  im using it now :) 

Good. From your comments, it looks like you're liking it?
March 23, 2011 10:39:50 PM

ubercake said:
Good. From your comments, it looks like you're liking it?

Yes i do, can not thank you enough for your advice :) 
I think its perfect, and better then my 32 LG tv :p 
I wanted to put the best answer after i thanked you the first time, but it seems in this part of the forum you cant :( 
Again i could not wish for anything better, this screen is perfect!
a b C Monitor
March 24, 2011 1:53:55 AM

serenatous said:
Yes i do, can not thank you enough for your advice :) 
I think its perfect, and better then my 32 LG tv :p 
I wanted to put the best answer after i thanked you the first time, but it seems in this part of the forum you cant :( 
Again i could not wish for anything better, this screen is perfect!

I know. I'm still impressed with mine as well. Glad I could help! Enjoy it!
!