JohnD212

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hi, I just upgraded my PSU so I could set my system up in SLI. In the process of rewiring and putting in the new PSU I had to remove my Soundblast X-Fi ExtremeGamer sound card briefly. I put the card back into the same slot and hooked the power back up. Everything works fine but now I have no sound. It still shows my sound card and but there isn't any sound. I think it might have something to do with me taking the card out of the slot and putting it back in.

Do I need to reinstall the drivers again?

JohnD212

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I'll give that a try. I always have problems with sound cards being picky. I also just might uninstall the drivers and reinstall in the hopes it re-detects the card. Every time I update the drivers for my sound card I tend to lose the card for a period of time.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seen that happen before as well. Windows can get confused when you re-install devices and detects the change as you are experiencing. It will often select the HDMI sound device that many video cards has, or the on-board audio (if not disabled in your BIOS), rather than the stand-alone card you intend to use. Should be an easy fix regardless.

Good luck!