Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core Temp spiking to 98c on 2500k

Last response: in CPUs
August 22, 2011 11:42:16 AM

Running into a strange situation. I was using the stock cooler on my 2500k until I picked up some AS5 or Shin-etsu, and decided to run Core Temp to see what kind of temps I was running while gaming. Temps were sitting around 55c while playing Starcraft 2, but I noticed one of the cores apparently hit a 98c max during that session. I watched it for the next minute or two and never saw it spike up.

I got worried so I pulled out my 212+ cooler and just used the CM grease that came with it. Hooked it up, played Starcraft 2 again, and while my temps were sitting around 40c, I had 2 cores that had apparently spiked to 98. Curious, I ran Prime95 and stared at the core temps. Under full load at 3.6ghz, I was able to see 2 of the cores spike to 98c for a half second, but immediately temps reported back at 55c. They didn't rise again through the next 2 minutes that I saw, so is this an error with Core Temp or is there something possibly wrong with my chip or how I'm cooling it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Build:
ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
i5-2500k
G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb 1600mhz
Vertex 2 60gb SSD
Corsair TX750

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 22, 2011 6:27:03 PM

It's a reporting fluke. Think about it, real temps do not rise/fall that quick. It's called thermal inertia. It's an inherent property of any material, a physical property (like density, for instance). I am not sure how it's called in English, but I know it exists.
So, back to real applications, it's surely a fluke in temp reporting, either a sensor malfunction or software fluke. I would not worry about it if there are no other signs of CPU instability (BSODs, freezes etc.).
August 22, 2011 8:39:51 PM

I was thinking the same, but was hoping for some reassurance as well. Thanks a lot for the quick reply!
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2011 8:40:01 PM

Best answer selected by eggboi.
m
l
August 23, 2011 6:02:49 AM

I get this too with Core Temp, so was getting quite worried. My system is similar to yours and the Core #1 and Core #2 max readings regularly display 98C. I hope this is ok and just a fault with the Core Temp software :( 
m
l
August 23, 2011 9:49:12 PM

14k said:
I get this too with Core Temp, so was getting quite worried. My system is similar to yours and the Core #1 and Core #2 max readings regularly display 98C. I hope this is ok and just a fault with the Core Temp software :( 

Really looks like it's a bit buggy, not sure if it's the version or issues with Sandybridge, but it suddenly showed my core frequency at 400mhz, so suddenly it thought I was running at 14ghz, so yeah there seems to be some issues with reporting here.
m
l
August 25, 2011 8:32:50 AM

CPUID HWMonitor seems to be the only tool which is giving me (what I assume are) stable and accurate readings.

Although, my graphics card reading averages 60C.. Is this normal!?
m
l
August 25, 2011 12:37:59 PM

yes it is normal and just wait and test a badly written game like world of tanks while snipe view or trine, your card might go max temp and it's fan will run like mad to take the temp down to 70
m
l
August 28, 2011 5:07:44 AM

Yeah graphic cards tend to run a bit warmer. My 5770 sits at 60c during starcraft 2 in an open case.

Good call on CUPID HWMonitor, it's definitely been very reliable for temps.
m
l
!