Asus Crosshair v formula no boot but powers up.

nick1200

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hello has you can see im new to this forum.
I have bought a second hand Asus Crosshair v formula i have a amd fx 8120 i set everything up put my 800 wat power supply to the board and my chip in and the 8gb memory and i got a cpu error led come on but no display. So i had to put my old board in and do some google searching and was reading i would need to update my bois. Ok so i rang asus up and they sent me a new bois so i toke my old board out and put the Asus Crosshair v formula back in i swapped the bois chips and the cpu light went off so no more cpu light :D I felt like things was going good but i waited around 30 / 40 mins but no display... All the cpu fan and everything works and the led's on my case works ( the hdd light etc ) I have a old gfx card a medaon readoon something. I contacted the person i bougth the board off and they told me they had the same problem no display...

What could be wrong ? Updated the bois to new newsit so no more error led's cumming on on the board via a new bois chip. My gfc card works in my other board and cpu etc.... I heard that if there is a problem you have to press the go button on the board ??? I press the go button but the memory light starts flashing and flashes faster and faster ... But still no display. Of curse the person who had it be for me had a different gfx card and still no display. I have heard that some times the board is fussy in which memory the slots go in ? I was told by asus to try and boot with out the cpu in just to see if i get a display i did try but no display still ..

Anyone else had this problem ?? No display even after updating the bois ? And also reseting everything via the motherboard battery. I think maybe the board is being fussy over the memory in slots or the gfx card is two old ??

nick1200

Honorable
May 10, 2012
How would i know its working tho ?? The board turns on fine even the cpu fan comes on fine. The motherboard / cpu makes like a loading sound. The display says no signal ... But gpu works fine in another older board so i try and turn the board on with out the gpu then ??

nick1200

Honorable
May 10, 2012
8-pin cpu hear ?? My gfx card has no 6 pin or 8 pin ( its that old ) it just runs of the pci port. And you said see what display you get but the motherboard does not have any onboard gfx card ... So if u take the gfx card out there is no were 2 plug the display ...

He meant did you plug in the CPU power cable?

But let me get this right...you bought this board, used, from someone who also was getting no display? It sounds like you voluntarily bought a bad board; since that would not make sense, please explain.

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

im also thinking same while i was reading that :)

nick1200

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Oh yer the cpu leads are all in. And yes i bought the board with the fault. I was told the gfx card failed but the board was ok. So i thought id put ym gfx card in and would all work but was wrong. Was told that the person was updating there drivers and the display stopped working. So thought that was a driver / gfx card problem. So bought just the board set everything up and was getting a cpu error l.e.d on the board and no display. Did some searching on google and was told id have to update my bois i tryied to flash the bois by pressingth e button on the back and putting the latest bois on a usb stick but never worked i emailed asus and was sent a new bois chip. I put the new chip in and there was no more cpu error light. But still no display..... I have a 850w power supply the 4 pin for the cpu is plugged into the board plus the big plug for the board.

nick1200

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I just realized i forgot to plug the 8 pin in. I need to go and buy some more paste for the cpu. I have a 8 pin and a 24 pin. The first time i plugged it all up i plugged the 24 pin in but never seen the 8 pin. Im gussing leaveing the 8 pin un connected could give me no display ? Could i ask what the 8 pin is for ?? I have also tried to put the gfx card in different slots but with no luck ( with no 8 pin in )

nick1200

Honorable
May 10, 2012
ive done that but still no display. When the 8pin was unplugged there was no cpu error led come on ( donno why it ent come on ) So the 4 pin and 8 pin is in but still no display swaped the gfx card around in different slots but still nothing...

nick1200

Honorable
May 10, 2012
i have just found out that the person was selling the board has a
ASUS Crosshair V Formula so bought a new bois chip for a ASUS Crosshair V Formula and put it in but just found out its a ASUS Crosshair V1 Formula so my ASUS Crosshair V1 Formula now has the wrong bois chip in. It has a ASUS Crosshair V Formula bois chip. Im guessing that's why it could not be working ? LOL

quantumlevitation

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I have the same problem. Asus crosshair v formula LED lit, but not powering up.... I think my MB was DoA. Doing an Advance RMA to see if that is the problem...

Ladamyre

Honorable
May 12, 2012
First off, we can't help if we don't have enough information. Your spelling leaves a lot to be desired so try to copy your information down exactly as the documentation on it shows.

You say, "I have a old gfx card a medaon readoon something."

That tells me nothing. You say it works on your old board but don't tell us what board that is.

Second, I gathered this is the 990FX board since you say your plugging the FX8120 into it. If that's the case, there is no onboard GPU, so trying to boot up without a GPU is guaranteed to get you no display, since you won't have a place to plug it into.

Specific information we need. What is your old board? Is this Crosshair board the only change your making? What is this "gfc" card you're talking about? What is this "800 wat" power supply? What OS are you using? What HD is boot for the OS? Is it RAID enabled on the old board? You mentioned you didn't realize there was an 8 pin connection on the board for the CPU power, have you ever done this before? What RAM are you using? What display are you using? Is it a flat panel? CRT monitor? TV? Etch-A-Sketch?

Details bro, we need details. That's why the spelling matters.

Try to list everything. Even the case. :D

May 29, 2012

I would say try parts that are known to work fine in another system. Then if its a second hand board, someone might have screwed with the bios settings, so use the ClearCMOS feature first on back side of motherboard to get default values back. Then put your 8120 in and try 1 stick of ram only at first. and plug in your video card. Don't plug in your Hard drive or Optical drive yet as they upon rare case have caused me grief. See if it post and runs with the CMOS cleared to default values. The CMOS has been the culprit of 4 boards I have worked on so far and after clearing CMOS... like magic is posts! Make sure you use the correct PCI-E slot for your video card...upper-most slot near cpu. If that doesn't work try what the other guy said and look at this website http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000241.htm

mrcraigx

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012

Hi, I had this problem that you are having, i did manage to solve it too so hopefully this will work for you too, power off the PC, press and hold the clear cMos button on the back plate of the MoBo for about 5-10 seconds(This will reset your bios to default 0404), now here is the problem, the bios version 0404 will not work with AMD FX CPU, get a Phenom II or similar AM3 CPU, install cpu and power on the pc, u should now be able to post to bios, press F1 to enter setup when prompted, now in the bios go to Tools, Asus Easy Flash Utility(I had previously downloaded Bios revision 1402 from asus, extracted and burnt to CD), now navigate to the 1402 ROM on the CD, update, either install windows from here or let it boot into windows if poss, then power off and change back to your AMD FX.

like I said this worked for me so good look,