Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I wait to upgrade my system? (AMD Spec)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 22, 2011 4:53:51 PM

So I've been running an AM2 + Phenom 2 940 since the board and processor came out. I have it paired with 5 gigs of DDR2 800 Ram and a GTX 260 Super Clocked. I've still be able to run everything I want at good settings however I want to upgrade for Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3.

I'm really thinking of upgrading my CPU , Motherboard, Ram, and picking up a SSD next month. However I'm torn if I should wait for the new AMD Processors or not. I'd upgrade my graphics card and case in like October.

Further more I have no idea what board to get. I'm hearing people talk about the Formula V a lot.

Any opinions and suggestions on what I should get would be greatly appreciated!
August 22, 2011 5:14:34 PM

Oh I know I probably only need a Graphic Card upgrade to run everything smoothly on higher settings, it's just that my AM2+ CPU and Motherboard are older now is all. If I'm gonna upgrade to an SSD any how, I was thinking of doing most of the system.

I priced out a 1100T + motherboard + 12 Gigs of Ram for 400 bucks, which is pretty cheap. The motherboard I priced out I don't think has support for the new AMD Bulldozer stuff.

Regardless thanks for your input!
m
0
l
August 22, 2011 5:21:34 PM

12 Gigs of Ram because I run a lot of things at once, multiple games at times and video editing.

And I forgot to mention that price point is always a factor. I look for the best bang for the buck and at 179.99 for a 1100T that's really good.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 22, 2011 6:00:36 PM

I'm using 4 gigs right now and I'm not even running a game. Trust me the extra Ram when Video Editing is being done = amazing. Also like I said I'm thinking of waiting for the Bulldozer CPU's as well.

I mean gaming wise, the current 3 year old CPU still does very well, I can run COD: Black Ops, Starcraft 2 at max 1080p settings just fine.

m
0
l
a c 110 à CPUs
August 22, 2011 11:31:00 PM

There are some really interesting -FX motherboards out there so it really comes down to your vendor preference and the features you want.

I'm kinda torn between the Giga-Byte GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ 990FX and the GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ 990X.

The PhII 1090T is $160 for the next day or so -- hard to top that price for pure GFLOPS in video work, especially when you disable Turbo and bump things up to 3.8-4GHz.

The advantage to BD over the x6 Thubans will be SSE4.x instructions and AVX (but it will be awhile before AVX really becomes mainstream).

I'm not really into spending the big bucks for BD at release -- I just can't figure out much lower the Thubans might go. $140-$150 would really get my attention ($160 has my 'order' finger twitching - LOL).



m
0
l
August 25, 2011 3:44:47 PM

Yeah I'm in the same boat, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger. I have $1250 just sitting here and I'm getting so tempted to buying everything.

I'm afraid if I start buying say my new video card or a new case, then I'm just gonna want to buy everything right now hahaha.
m
0
l
!