Sign in with
Your question
Closed

STILL low fps?

Last response: in Components
August 22, 2011 5:19:39 PM

Not sure if CPU forum is the correct spot but I like it here ;) 

So I was running a 9800gtx gpu, with a e4400 dual core 2.2ghz and 4gigs ddr2 and getting 30-40fps in WOW in cities.

I upgraded to a gtx465 and a Q6600 quad 2.4ghz and 8gigs ddr3 and I still avg 35fps. I'm slightly confused.

More about : low fps

August 22, 2011 9:02:57 PM

Still confuesed :)  ^
Score
August 22, 2011 10:05:26 PM

I think I saw your other topic a few minutes ago, with someone posting a solution about that.

As its a MMORPG , I won't expect much improvement. To really check if there's a problem, tryout a more gpu intensive game on your computer. If possible, check it on your older computer too.

The gtx 465 should perform at least 30 % faster (minimum)
Score
Related resources
August 22, 2011 10:05:37 PM

I think I saw your other topic a few minutes ago, with someone posting a solution about that.

As its a MMORPG , I won't expect much improvement. To really check if there's a problem, tryout a more gpu intensive game on your computer. If possible, check it on your older computer too.

The gtx 465 should perform at least 30 % faster (minimum)
Score
August 22, 2011 10:17:28 PM

I see VERY little improvment in borderlands, and VERY little in Heroes of Newerth.
Score
August 22, 2011 10:18:31 PM

Is tehre something possibly holding me back? Theres no way adding double the processing power and increasing the GPU will only result in a small change in fps.

Maybe my ram / mobo arent being optomized, something styfeling(sp?) my cpu? idk.
Score
August 23, 2011 12:21:39 AM

When you connect another graphic card, you have to reinstall the driver by carefully selecting "do a clean install", then reboot. It shall work as intended after doing that. It's the same suggestion if you install a second graphic card and want to use SLI or Crossfire: do install by selecting clean install, reboot and activate SLI or Crossfire, else it won't work. Remember to reinstall the driver that way each time you change or add a graphic card heh ^^
Score
August 23, 2011 12:56:01 AM

Not to sound ignorant, but what is your internet provider's speed? It could also be a router issue as well. If you live in a house where multiple PC's are being used taking bandwidtch, no amount of Hardware upgrades will save you from lag. I used to have this problem as well, and it turns out my router was POS...to say the least. i upgraded that and my problem went away. WoW isn't necessarily graphics intensive until you get around heavily populated cities or 25-man raids. It also could be a server issue with Blizzard (as all WOW heads know they suck...). Check these things and see if you notice a difference. I ran an old Athlon 64 4400 Dual Core with a 4650 Sapphire GPU and never had any issue. Your system seems more than adequate, especially with your ram. Hope this helps!
Score
August 23, 2011 1:08:49 AM

*Internet issues have absolutely nothing to do with a video games frame rates. That is entirely due to either the CPU or the graphics card (one of these will be a bottleneck).

To be clear, it's your CPU or your graphics card which is holding you back.

To test if it is the CPU, run Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and change VIEW processes to ALL graphs. Run in the background and play three games (for an average). View results after five minutes in a game.

Analysis:
If one or more cores is hitting 100% then your CPU is likely the bottlneck. It also shows you how balanced your CPU vs GPU setup is. For example, if one or more cores were hitting about 50% then you could replace your graphics card with one 2x as powerful and expect to see 2x the frame rates at the exact same settings.

By 2x as powerful, you can simply look at the charts and see what graphics card in a benchmark gets 2x the FPS as your current card.

Overclocking the CPU:
This is only needed if your current CPU is bottlenecked. For example, if you used about 50% of your CPU currently you could buy a new graphics card that gets up to 2.5x the frame rates as your current card.

Overclocking a CPU also should be done with a larger, better quality heatsink than the stock version. You can get pretty good heatsinks for about $40. See NCIX.

You would want to look up and see what other people can safely overclock at. You might be safe at, say, 25% overclock.

RAM and overclocking the CPU:
It varies, but I think many older setups such as yours may overclock the RAM automatically as much as the CPU. In this case you should UNDERCLOCK the RAM first so that when the CPU is overclocked the RAM runs at the same or LESS frequency as it did before to prevent instability.

Modern motherboards try to avoid this issue by making the overclocking of RAM separate from overclocking the CPU.

RAM is almost never a source of bottleneck.
Score
August 23, 2011 12:02:26 PM

You went from a slow, obsolete dual core to a slow, obsolete quad core. The GPU is still being held back by the slow CPU.
Score
August 23, 2011 12:13:31 PM

Good Point gamerk316. Most people would say it is better to sacrifice cores for a faster processor, or, it is better to have a faster (3.0+) dual or quad core than a slower (<3.0) quad core or six core, respectively. If FPS is your issue (was a quick read Photonboy, thanks for the correction!), your CPU is definately holding you back, as WoW in and of itself is not terribly graphically demanding (ran max settings on my old 4650). Another question i have is what size is your PSU? if it isn't powerful enough to FULLY power your computer, it may be causing either your cpu or gpu to run under their potential. just a thought.
Score
August 23, 2011 3:38:34 PM

The PSU is a 500w ocz or antec i forget. Is that not good enough?

Okay so now you have my interest going toward "fine I'll get a new cpu" but I have a 775 slot mobo, so I guess Ill need a mobo/cpu. I like the cheap i3 2100, but I can't get past the whole dual core thing. Anyone wanna link a cheap 2500k i5 setup (cpu mobo)?
Score
August 23, 2011 3:58:32 PM

my question is why intel? if you are worried about cheap, intel is NOT the way to go. Quite frankly, if gaming is your issue, a $130 AMD quad-core (especially for wow...) would do you just fine. and a mobo for that will run you under $100. cheaper than an i5 by itself i believe. Just my suggestion. 500W should be enough, however, if you do upgrade your cpu/mobo, especially to the i5, you may need to increase your psu to a 650W range, and possibly even with the AMD.
Score
August 23, 2011 4:02:02 PM

Unless someone can show me that AMD is equivalent to the i series, I'll most likely disregard that suggestion. All I've heard is how great the i's are.
Score
August 23, 2011 4:14:52 PM

understandable. as of right now, the i's are much stronger due to multi-threading. However, for price and what you are using it for, WoW, correct? I would highly recommend a quad core amd. more than enough power for it, again go with a black edition. If you are looking for a "cheap" intel, you are going to sacrifice performance, as the i3's in my opinion do, imo, identical perfomance. i5 2500k runs appx. $220 as a quad core. you can get a six core AMD black edition for appx. $180, and OC to 4.0 easily keeping stability. if you already have an intel mobo, the i5 might be a good choice, but i would get the high end i3 if that is what you are looking at, priced at $150. a dual core needs to have high speed to keep up with todays games, even WoW.
Score
August 23, 2011 4:18:24 PM

As referenced above I have an older intel mobo that wouldn't house the i5 anyways.

That's why I was looking at a new mobo/cpu combo.

If someone could link a chart comparing an AMD chip with an Intel chip in my price range (around 200 or less).
Score

Best solution

August 23, 2011 4:18:33 PM

In mmorpg's like WoW, crowded areas like cities are extremely cpu bound. Don't expect to get over 35-40 frames in these areas unless you are running very high end cpu's such as a 2500k.

I am not extremely experienced with Borderlands or HaN, but I don't believe they benefit much if at all from a quad core. So for these games you pretty much increased you cpu speed by 200mhz by upgrading the cpu since the other two cores are likely not being utilized.

The 9800gtx was top of the line in it's day, and still fairly powerful today. The 465gtx is better, but not majorly. However, be sure to do what others have said and make sure you have uninstalled the old drivers completely with driver sweeper and then install the new ones.

If you live near a micro center, they offer a pretty good deal on 2500k's right now. They sell them brand new for $180 compared to newegg's $220, PLUS you get an additional $40 off any compatible motherboard you buy with it.

However, I am not suggestion you run out and buy this. Core 2 Quads can still be very powerful when overclocked. You could look into an aftermarket cooler and try to overclock the one you have. Depending on the resolution you play at, that and the 465 should offer good performance.

I also remember hearing how certain Q6600's have temperature problems which make overclocking not really possible, but I can't remember specifically which ones were affected by this. Perhaps someone else could provide more insight.

I hope some of this helped out.
August 23, 2011 4:21:58 PM

It did help, I think I'm gonna splurge and get a 2500k/mobo/HSF/PSU upgrade...

Links to help purchase at best prices anyone?

-best answer still available lol :p 
Score
August 23, 2011 8:30:11 PM

Anyone know of a cheap way to get:

i5 2500k
sli ready mobo
700w+ psu
good hsf
?

Those parts alone will run me 430+ Links appreciated
Score
August 23, 2011 10:26:29 PM