Epson Stylus Photo R200, Missing USB cable?

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 27, 2005 8:06:30 PM

I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
cartridges.

Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-Colleen
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 9:25:28 PM

Wouldn't it be the same cable you use to transfer images from your camera to
a computer (USB)? So many people use a card reader they forget that you can
transfer directly from the camera with the supplied cable.

<colleen.raynor@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
> I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
> cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
> in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
> they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
> cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
> cartridges.
>
> Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
> separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
> side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Colleen

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 12:18:05 AM

colleen.raynor@gmail.com writes:

> I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
> I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
> cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
> in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
> they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
> cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
> cartridges.
>
> Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
> separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
> side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?
>
> Any suggestions?

You need to buy the USB cable. It's a completely normal USB cable
(that is, not an extension or anything special). Epson isn't
including them with printers (my R800 didn't have one either).
February 28, 2005 12:40:02 AM

Most cables use a mini-A (or is it mini-B)
"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
> Wouldn't it be the same cable you use to transfer images from your camera
> to a computer (USB)? So many people use a card reader they forget that
> you can transfer directly from the camera with the supplied cable.
>
> <colleen.raynor@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
>> I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
>> cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
>> in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
>> they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
>> cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
>> cartridges.
>>
>> Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
>> separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
>> side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> -Colleen

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:03:41 AM

<colleen.raynor@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
> I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
> cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
> in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
> they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
> cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
> cartridges.
>
> Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
> separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
> side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?

They appear to be returning to the old and similar tendency to NOT include Parallel cables
with printers. Most of us have half a dozen or more USB cables collecting dust from the
various readers, and other devices that include them without purpose.

I've probably got 15 of those things lying around my office...
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:24:06 AM

<colleen.raynor@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
> I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
> cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
> in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
> they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
> cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
> cartridges.
>
> Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
> separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
> side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Colleen

You have to buy one. Printer manufacturers save a fortune by not including
one in the box (or so they'd have you believe).

What you want is known as a USB A to B cable, with plugs like these
http://www.lastar.net/images_lastar/product_images/1317.... The A part is
the rectangular plug that goes in your PC, the B is the square plug that
goes in the back of the printer.
February 28, 2005 3:28:37 PM

I think the real reason they don't include them is that they don't know how
far it is from your computer to your printer location so they can't package
a single cable that will meet everyone's needs. If it's too short you
still have to but an extension. If it's too long it adds to the cable
clutter. Just right probably only applies to 20% or less of purchasers.
Since nothing is free, including a cable you can't use forces you to pay
more for the package than would otherwise be necessary. It's a case of
damned if you do and damned if you don't for the manufacturer.
<colleen.raynor@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
> I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
> cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
> in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
> they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
> cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
> cartridges.
>
> Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
> separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
> side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Colleen

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 5:36:20 PM

> <colleen.raynor@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
> > I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
> > cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
> > in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
> > they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
> > cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
> > cartridges.
> >
> > Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
> > separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
> > side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?
>
> They appear to be returning to the old and similar tendency to NOT include
Parallel cables
> with printers. Most of us have half a dozen or more USB cables collecting
dust from the
> various readers, and other devices that include them without purpose.
>
> I've probably got 15 of those things lying around my office...

The reason that they don't include them is to allow those retailers selling
printers at a low profit margin to recoup
by selling USB cables at great profit !. So you go to buy a printer, look
round and my store may not have the best
price but hey, I will discount the USB cable from £9.95 to £1.00 to you as a
valued customer. You get a good deal
and so do I as the USB cable only cost me £0.50 anyway.

But then if I sell the USB cable at full price I will probably make more
actual profit on that than on the printer.

Sad but true, I ran such a shop.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:39:34 PM

"Dave" <dpriedel@complaninc.com> wrote in message
>I think the real reason they don't include them is that they don't know how
>far it is from your computer to your printer location so they can't package
>a single cable that will meet everyone's needs. If it's too short you
>still have to but an extension. If it's too long it adds to the cable
>clutter. Just right probably only applies to 20% or less of purchasers.
>Since nothing is free, including a cable you can't use forces you to pay
>more for the package than would otherwise be necessary. It's a case of
>damned if you do and damned if you don't for the manufacturer.

Doesn't seem to bother them (manufacturers) when they package scanners,
modems, or card readers though.

I have to admit that even though I am an fan of Epson and have owned various
printers (currently 3 830's ) it does piss me off that they don't include
the usb cable.
March 1, 2005 2:39:35 PM

In article <d01k9o$9hc$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, me@somewhere.tv says...
> "Dave" <dpriedel@complaninc.com> wrote in message
> >I think the real reason they don't include them is that they don't know how
> >far it is from your computer to your printer location so they can't package
> >a single cable that will meet everyone's needs. If it's too short you
> >still have to but an extension. If it's too long it adds to the cable
> >clutter. Just right probably only applies to 20% or less of purchasers.
> >Since nothing is free, including a cable you can't use forces you to pay
> >more for the package than would otherwise be necessary. It's a case of
> >damned if you do and damned if you don't for the manufacturer.
>

> Doesn't seem to bother them (manufacturers) when they package scanners,
> modems, or card readers though.
>
> I have to admit that even though I am an fan of Epson and have owned various
> printers (currently 3 830's ) it does piss me off that they don't include
> the usb cable.

I havent recieved a cable with any printer Ive purchased in the last 10 years
(that would be about 50 printers).

As far as I know, it has been the "industry standard" to NOT include a cable
with the printer for quite a number of years. (Lexmark being the only
exception, they included a cable in the box with a 3-in=1 bought by a
relative last year).

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

My Lexmark z605 also didn't have the usb cable, but as I got it with the
computer, I got one for free (0 euro says my invoice).I'm also wondering,
how the modem included one, which by miracle is just the right length, and
the camera, too (Kodak CX 7300).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

> > <colleen.raynor@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >I just started setting up my Epson Stylus Photo R200 photo printer, and
> > > I got to step 4 when it says: "connect to printer." I need the USB
> > > cable to connect the printer to the computer, but it was not included
> > > in the box. On the list of items in the box that they said to unpack,
> > > they list: printer, software CD-ROM, printer basics booklet, power
> > > cord, small CD insert, CD/DVD tray, CD position check disk, and ink
> > > cartridges.
> > >
> > > Is this USB cable supposed to be included? Or do I have to buy it
> > > separately? In the diagram, the USB cable is the normal shape on one
> > > side, and on the other it is square. Where is this missing cable?!?
> >
> > They appear to be returning to the old and similar tendency to NOT
include
> Parallel cables
> > with printers. Most of us have half a dozen or more USB cables
collecting
> dust from the
> > various readers, and other devices that include them without purpose.
> >
> > I've probably got 15 of those things lying around my office...
> >

> The reason that they don't include them is to allow those retailers
selling
> printers at a low profit margin to recoup
> by selling USB cables at great profit !. So you go to buy a printer, look
> round and my store may not have the best
> price but hey, I will discount the USB cable from £9.95 to £1.00 to you as
> valued customer. You get a good deal
> and so do I as the USB cable only cost me £0.50 anyway.
>
> But then if I sell the USB cable at full price I will probably make more
> actual profit on that than on the printer.
>
> Sad but true, I ran such a shop.

March 1, 2005 6:26:18 PM

In article <d01qoa$coh$1@usenet.otenet.gr>, use@address.below says...

> My Lexmark z605 also didn't have the usb cable, but as I got it with the
> computer, I got one for free (0 euro says my invoice).I'm also wondering,
> how the modem included one, which by miracle is just the right length, and
> the camera, too (Kodak CX 7300).
>
> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
> major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician
> FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
> dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

All the digital cameras I have purchased (for myself and others) came with a
USB cable. That includes Canon, Olympus, Sony, Kodak, Fuji, and even an HP..

Modems OTOH are a different breed.. About half of the external modems (USB)
have come with a cable, half have NOT.

My last USRobotics External modem was USB/Serial, it came with a serial cable
but NOT a USB cable.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

I think it is more of a cost issue (and a concession to the retailer to make
more profit). First, you are
buying a $100 printer that comes with $80 worth of ink cartridges (some
printer omit the ink or at least the color ink). And most retailers sell
the bubble-packed $20-25 USB cables...I got mine on-line for less than $3.

George

!