Your question

Thermal paste on CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heatsinks
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in CPUs
August 22, 2011 7:55:38 PM

Tried a different method for applying thermal paste to the CPU. I have the xigmatec sd963 which has exposed heatpipes...

I basically filled in the cracks on the heatsink, then did a line about the size of a grain of rice, going horizontally, using AS5. I also tried 2 vertical lines before and it was too much paste, so I tried this method instead.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seems like too much still, what y'all think?

More about : thermal paste cpu

August 22, 2011 8:05:58 PM

that seems a bit too much haha, my method is to put a dime size onto the cpu itself then thin then work the thermal paste to cover the whole cpu by spreading it around using my finger wrapped in suran wrap(no joke ) :) 
m
l
August 22, 2011 8:15:30 PM

hmm interesting, I was told to avoid spreading it out myself... specially with this heatsink because of the cracks between the pipes. Wish I could see how it spreads without having to re-seat the heatsink every time lol. Thanks for the reply icy
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2011 8:21:24 PM

There are always going to be differing opinions on how much TIM to use and if you should spread it or not. Here's the executive summary. It's always best to use the absolute Minimum TIM possible to fill the minute imperfections in the hintsink/CPU heatspreader surfaces. The ONLY purpose for using TIM is to fill the tiny imperfections, nothing more. Less TIM is definitely the best approach when it comes to good cooling.

The TIM should be almost transparent when spread out because the best thermal conduction is metal-to-metal. TIM has a lower conduction rate than metal-to-metal. The use of a little extra TIM between the heatpipes on an exposed heatpipe heatsink is probably splitting hairs as to if it makes 1 degree C difference or not.
m
l
August 22, 2011 8:42:34 PM

beenthere said:
There are always going to be differing opinions on how much TIM to use and if you should spread it or not. Here's the executive summary. It's always best to use the absolute Minimum TIM possible to fill the minute imperfections in the hintsink/CPU heatspreader surfaces. The ONLY purpose for using TIM is to fill the tiny imperfections, nothing more. Less TIM is definitely the best approach when it comes to good cooling.

The TIM should be almost transparent when spread out because the best thermal conduction is metal-to-metal. TIM has a lower conduction rate than metal-to-metal. The use of a little extra TIM between the heatpipes on an exposed heatpipe heatsink is probably splitting hairs as to if it makes 1 degree C difference or not.

Thanks and good answer. I noticed the TIM on the exposed heatpipes didn't do much temp-wise except help the TIM in the middle spread out evenly instead of running through the cracks, that's the only reason I'm using it.

I'd still like to hear opinions on this but I'm definitely going to use a bit less next time.
m
l
August 22, 2011 9:01:21 PM

What i do is squirt a line onto the cpu than spread it evenly with a credit card.
m
l
!