2 GTX 580s w/ Asus SLI bridge, no SLI options in CP

Status
Not open for further replies.

xripx

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hi all,

So I checked to make sure both cards work individually and they do. I installed both of them, put on the SLI bridge and powered up, installed latest drivers. Windows 7 64-bit reads both cards, nvidia CP acknowledges both cards as well, but I have no option to enable, monitor or test SLI anywhere.

Please help.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I found this:

"Setting up the dual cards requires a bit of extra work, but it’s not too bad. In order to run the multi-GPU setup, users would have to first install the graphic cards drivers, then install the HydraLogix driver. Users who wish to update the graphic cards driver must also uninstall the HydraLogix driver first before uninstalling the graphic card driver."

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1983&pageID=10052

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You cannot use SLI with an AMD chipset, period. Nvidia makes its driver check for "compatible" hardware before it will enable the feature. "Compatible" simply means Nvidia has been paid for it.

Most Intel motherboards now support SLI because the motherboard manufacturers pay Nvidia for a BIOS tag that the driver seeks before it enables the feature. AMD doesn't have that luxury. If you wanted an AMD CPU with SLI, you should have purchased an Nvidia 980a SLI motherboard.

HydraLogix "N-Mode" works on motherboards that have this bridge, enabling two Nvidia graphics cards to work together. But unlike SLI, HydraLogix is not supported by many games and doesn't offer the big performance gains.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lucidlogix-hydralogix-p55a-fuzion,2769.html

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your options are:
1.) You can keep the card and run HydraLogix N-Mode. It's not as fast as SLI but usually faster than a single card. It works with some games, but not others.
2.) You can keep the card and replace the motherboard for something that supports SLI.
3.) You can return the card.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Well OK if you don't want to call it SLI because that's Nvidia's marketing term then ok, you're correct, you can't enable SLI.

And I don't think the lucent chip itself has any disadvantage electrically to an SLI certified board, it's just a licensing issue, so with mature drivers the lucent chip is likely to give the same performance as SLI. Personally I wouldn't buy one and be a guinipig while they try and get it right, but I also wouldn't recommend someone ditch there motherboard and videocards without at least presenting it as an option.

Drivers that may never turn up and chips that may be replaced with newer models because the older ones cannot fulfill certain promises is the reason why the Lucid chip is just an interesting idea rather than a viable option.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
^Probably true, but I doubt the first geforce drivers that supported SLI worked on alot of programs either. I guess it's something that is better in theory than in practice at this point. It sure would be nice though if something like this would become a viable alternative to brand specific licensing.

adelnet

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
thanks xripx for your fast response
and I wish to ask about your pc, is the SLI work now fine with no problems .

and still I wonder why the nvidia not provide optimal solutions, instead of let the customers search for solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nvidia made chipsets for AMD processors, why would they want to support a competing chipset and undermine their own business?

adelnet

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

And way Asus IV Extreme motherboard 1155LGA says I'm supporting SLI?
why nvidia allow asus motherboard to tell customer you can make SLI in LGA1155 processor

adelnet

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
This from New P67 B3 Revision Asus IV Extreme motherboard

SLI/CrossFireX On-Demand

Why choose when you can have both?

SLI or CrossFireX? Fret no longer because with the ROG Maximus IV Extreme, you´ll be able to run both multi-GPU setups. The board features SLI/CrossFireX on Demand technology, supporting SLI or CrossFireX configuration. Whichever path you take, you can be assured of jaw-dropping graphics at a level previously unseen.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You never said it was a "Maximus" motherboard. The original poster was having a problem with SLI on a Crosshair (AMD) board, and I responded to a question that stated "I have the same problem".

Nvidia supports SLI on LGA-1155 and LGA-1156 processors, through the PCIe controller on the CPU. If you want to enable SLI on the x4 slot, you have to use the same hack for a similar (but not identical) issue. I've no idea however why you would want to run 2-way SLI using the x4 slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.