Sign in with
Your question

Case/Mobo/Expansion card compatability

Last response: in Systems
May 27, 2011 11:21:40 PM

I recently put together a system specifically made to "play around with" while pursuing a computer science degree. I bought a Bytecc sATA controller to play around with RAID configurations since my mobo didn't have an onboard RAID controller. When I went to install it, it wouldn't sit in the PCIe socket while being screwed into the expansion port on the case. I had to use pliers to bend the bracket so it would fit both to the case and the slot. I did this because the card was only $30 and I didn't want to drive 30-40 minutes to return it (Boston traffic sucks btw). My question is, is there a way I could known before I made this purchase that it wouldn't fit correctly? Like some case, mobo or card specification I could have looked at?

mobo- Biostar P43D3

SATA card

Case- Cooler Master 310

a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2011 11:53:10 PM

I've had this happen plenty of times with cheap and expensive hardware so it's not about quality.

What is likely to have happened is that the motherboard isn't quite in the correct position in the case. Often this can be because of the IO shield not being far enough back or simply the motherboard holes aren't aligned to the case stand offs as best as they could.

Providing you don't damage the PCB it's fine to adjust the mounting bracket to fit better. Obviously it's better if it's a reversible change in case you need to return the component!

As an aside you don't need onboard RAID to have a raid array. You could do a good ol' fashioned software RAID. Linux's mdadm can create arrays from storage devices regardless on how they are connected.
m
l
May 28, 2011 9:35:37 PM

Quote:
As an aside you don't need onboard RAID to have a raid array. You could do a good ol' fashioned software RAID. Linux's mdadm can create arrays from storage devices regardless on how they are connected.

I mainly did this just for practice. I will eventually try to do a software raid install. I have been reading around, and it appears people aren't too fond of the Marvell controllers. Is this true?
m
l
!