Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
First:

Specs:
Win XP SP3
System Model: Dell DXP051 (XPS 400)
Processor: Pentium D ~2.8
Current Graphics card: GeForce 6800
RAM- 1GB (getting more when I get a new graphics card :sweat: )
PSU: Delta N375P-00
30 amps on the +12V Rail (2 rails with 18 amps each)
1 Pcie connector

I was thinking about trying a Nvidia GTX 450 with my 375W PSU. Now comes out the GTX 550 Ti. The power requirements are similar to the GTX 450, and it is supposed to run better than the GTX 450. However, notice I'm still running XP and DirectX 9.whatever. WITHOUT upgrading my PSU, will my comp run this card? (I don't usually turn my games up to full graphics anyway- which is probably understandable due to my GeForce6800.)

I have heard that my power supply could run the GTX 250.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262299-33-best-graphics-card But would that be dangerous? I'm only 25W off of the power requirement and I've heard Dell PSU's have more power than they tell.

I have other issues to worry about.
Would my Pentium D bottleneck this card?
Would it be a good performance boost from my GeForce 6800 even with only DirectX 9?

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Oh, and the max power on the 550 Ti is 116W

ChiefTexas_82

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Thank you ct1615 and intelx.

My only problems so far are having to turn off the (low poly) grass in Oblivion in fights, Borderlands loading slow, and Mass Efect (1) Running like pure s*** in firefights. I have liked my 6800 so far, but it is falling off the "suported graphics cards" lists. I dont care about playing with max graphics, and I feel a GTX 450 will be the nice boost that I need. (along with the extra RAM ;-) )

I only have a single PCIe connector and the 460 needs two. When I checked I didn't have two free 4 prong cables to convert into an additional PCIe. I would worry about the additional power requirements also. I don't want to stress my old PSU.

I think that is sound logic. The cost of the GTS 450 is relatively cheap, so the risk is relatively low. The 450 is a perfectly capable card and highly tweakable.

ChiefTexas_82

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I've heard good things about the 450 overclocking, but I have no experience with that. Well, other than watching my cousin burn his card out in less than a second. I don't think he was experienced either. :lol:

Probably not a good idea for an older comp anyway.

The 460 would be a good card, but I only have 1 PCIe cable and I fear a Y PCIe cable splitter might strain my old PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.