Looking for a DX11 upgrade from a GTX 295.

Alatar1313

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I have a GTX 295 right now but want to upgrade to something that supports DX11. This thing still runs everything I play but some games (cough dragon age 2) have a lot of features unavailable if you're not running dx11.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Any time BUDGET RANGE: The lowest amount to achieve DX11 without a performance drop.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming. WoW plus a bunch of modern games (Civ5, Dragon Age 2 right now).

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GTX 295. Thermaltake toughpower 1000W.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Core i7 Nehalem 920 OCed to 3.66GHz. Asus Rampage II Extreme.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nvidia. I tend to like their driver support better and ATI numbering scheme is screwy.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200 and 1920x1080. Gaming on the primary, websites on the secondary.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Pretty much just looking for a card that's actually an upgrade over the GTX 295 but also supports DX11. I'm not really willing to pay for a downgrade or a sidegrade that supports DX11 but if I can find a card that's definitely better and also supports DX11 and isn't a $500 card, I'd like it.

Solution
For less than 400 you would not get anything that's a upgrade for your current setup.

Didn't nvidia run around and say gpus can do what cpus can and can do it faster? Wonder what dx 11 gpus got intregrated that's dx 11. They got shaders like the dx 11 ones and can perform instructions like the dx 11 ones. Dx 11 is basically just added instructions ain't it? A Microsoft update got vista users from 10 to 11. wonder what made dx 10 gpus incapable of performing instructions now all of a sudden

One of the primary hardware requirements for a graphics card to be DX 11 capable is a tessellation engine, something DX 10 graphics cards do not have. So the DX 11 client software installation will work just fine on non-DX 11 graphics cards...
For less than 400 you would not get anything that's a upgrade for your current setup.

Didn't nvidia run around and say gpus can do what cpus can and can do it faster? Wonder what dx 11 gpus got intregrated that's dx 11. They got shaders like the dx 11 ones and can perform instructions like the dx 11 ones. Dx 11 is basically just added instructions ain't it? A Microsoft update got vista users from 10 to 11. wonder what made dx 10 gpus incapable of performing instructions now all of a sudden

in software POV only instruction was added but those new instruction need new hardware to be executed and that said hardware does not available in DX10 capable chip. that's why you can't run dx10 using dx9 card card isn't it?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

One of the primary hardware requirements for a graphics card to be DX 11 capable is a tessellation engine, something DX 10 graphics cards do not have. So the DX 11 client software installation will work just fine on non-DX 11 graphics cards, they just won't be able to take advantage of the new API's as they lack the hardware to execute the new instruction sets.

The 295 is still a beast of a card even if it is getting long in the tooth. Depending on how much you have to spend, you could take a look at the 6990 or the GTX 590 when it comes out. Apart from that, two GTX 570's in SLI would do you nicely giving you DX 11 AND not dropping performance.

What is your PSU like? It must be powerful when you're talking this level of graphics?

Solution

Alatar1313

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
It's a Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W.

And yeah, the fact that the 295 is still a beast of the card is the major source of my problems. It seems foolish to pay money to get a card that is lower performance but is capable of running DX11. On the other hand, DA2 (and I'm sure other stuff) doesn't allow various options to be enabled without a DX11 card.

I don't really remember how much the 295 was when I bought it but I want to say it was something like $500. I don't really want to end up paying more than that just to get DX11 compatibility.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Unless you're going to sell your 295 to increase the amount to your budget, i can't say $400 will get you anything better. Like i said, you're looking for a high end SLI setup or the 590 when that comes out to justify your terms.

Alatar1313

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Hmm that's actually not a bad plan. I hadn't considered that. Let me edit the first post to remove the budget limit and just say "equal or greater performance for the least possible" lol.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Like i said if you want equal or better performance, you're looking at minimum 570's in SLI, possibly overclocked ones to maximise performance. All i can say is, at 1200, two 570's in SLI will tear through anything on highest settings in DX 11.

Alatar1313

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Think the i7 920 OCed to 3.66GHz and 6GB ram good enough to power that?

Looks like I can get 2 570s for around $700. If I can sell the 295 for $200 (seems reasonable from the ebay listings), $500 net isn't too bad.

if i'm not mistaken even ati 4k series have tessellation engine (but i'm not sure since which generation ATI already put tessellation engine in their card). but only with dx11 microsoft start to implement tessellation in graphic enhancement and you need the hardware to access dx11 features which is why tessellation engine in 4k series (and below if the engine exist) rendered useless. (do correct me if i'm wrong with this one)

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Yeah you're correct, i wasn't clear enough in that statement. Tessellation was still used in previous DX generations but not to the extent and level DX 11 began to use it, so older tessellation engines were, as you say, useless for the newer API's.