Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need new power supply...Suggestions?

Last response: in Components
August 23, 2011 4:19:02 AM

My Corsair TX 750W died about an hour ago, the second of such model that has died on me, and I am going to ditch corsair and need a new PSU for my rig. I know very little about PSUs and am looking for suggestions. Here is my setup:

MSI 790FX-GD70 Mobo
Phenom II 955 BE
Intel X-25m 80gig SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sony DVD-RW drive
AMD HD Radeon 6950 2gb
Antec 300 illusion case

Again, please no corsair PSUs as I have given up on them. Budget is $150 or less.

Thanks in advance.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 23, 2011 5:03:42 AM

Seasonic or PC Power and Cooling would be my first choices in PSUs. They have models to fit your budget that are reliable. I have never been impressed with Corsair PSUs even though their RAM seems to be fine.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 23, 2011 5:21:46 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMPSU-750TX-750-Watt-Cert...

Over 200 people are mostly VERY SATISFIED with that PSU. You either got extremely unlucky or have problems with your power which will kill any PSU that you get.

Instead of buying another PSU, I recommend you should:
1) return to Corsair if under Warranty still
2) consider getting a Voltage stabilization unit from APC or elsewhere (not just a simple surge protector)
*APC Voltage conditioner. This is a very good conditioner. Recommended for computers and HDTV's. We had problems with failures so i bought one for my dad for his HDTV which was $2000 at the time. Good investment.
http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=67

Other:
Gamers are mainly interested in the following:
1) AMPS on +12V rail or rails (at least 1.25x that of the graphics card requirement)
2) Wattage (in general 600W to 850W unless high-end SLI)
3) Quality (Antec, FSP and others. read recent articles comparing PSU's)

I saw a pretty good 620W Antec Power Supply at NCIX for $77 CDN. It supplied 48Amps. It was a great deal if that suited your needs.
August 23, 2011 6:10:53 PM

Best answer selected by dmcclelland1.
m
l
August 23, 2011 6:27:43 PM

lilotimz said:
Seasonic X650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If two corsair tx750s died on you, then you have a bigger problem then corsair (which will honor warranties most of the time).

I have to second the Seasonic nomination. IMHO, the absolute best power supplies ever!!

However, if there is still a warranty on the Corsair, that might be a cheaper option. The thing is, if you have gone through two already, this does not bode well for using another Corsair. It takes time to replace a PS, and you have done that twice. Going the warranty route, you may have to do that again. IMHO, the old, old adage "Time is Money" applies.

Also, the voltage stabilizer will cost extra money. IMHO, a well-designed power supply, like Seasonic, should never need voltage stabilization since the input voltage range of most switchers is on the order of 90 - 240 V. If the Corsair were well-designed, it would not need input stabilization.
m
l
August 23, 2011 10:21:14 PM

Even with bad power the system should freeze/lockup/do weird things. If it just DIED then things are normally defective. There are not many complicated parts in a PSU. Although it is recommended to have a UPS as you can tell when there are varying voltage conditions on the line that you are using. I personally just don't like my power to just shut off my pc when I'm in the middle of something.

I have a XFX Black Edition 750W and don't have any issues, but with a low watt requirement (i5-2500K stock, GTX460 oc, msi p67-gd55 mb, 2 hds).

So, you COULD have problems with power, but if you haven't noticed other symptoms then it is entirely possible to get two bad ps. Although if I were you I'd buy a kill-a-watt just to see what your power draw is.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2011 5:08:17 AM

"Also, the voltage stabilizer will cost extra money. IMHO, a well-designed power supply, like Seasonic, should never need voltage stabilization since the input voltage range of most switchers is on the order of 90 - 240 V. "

You are wrong on this point.

You would be correct if we knew that his wall power never went above what the Seasonic would handle, however the APC conditioner is superior and will handle surges that most power supplies (TV, computer whatever) can't.

I remember getting the APC Voltage Conditioner on sale for $70 but it's likely over $100.

It's a gamble or rather an investment, but my dad's TV was $2000 at the time. I've decided to buy one which will condition both my computer and HDTV which is about $2500 total.

*I read somewhere that device failure due to power surges was a lot higher than the average person believed. Personally, it was worth the money just for better peace of mind that my dad's expensive HDTV wouldn't fail a month after his one-year Warranty.
m
l
!