Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Font Hard to Read

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2011 3:31:40 AM

I am using the HDMI format with an ATI Radeon HD4670 card on a Samsung LED monitor with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, 32 bit color, and the scaling as low as I can get it without cropping anything from being viewed. The font on the icons is noticeably difficult to read and it is very difficult to distinguish plain or bold font in a word processing document until the font size is at least 36 or so. The font was perfectly readable when I was using a DVI video interface but I was having problems with the onboard sound on my old motherboard (Realtek AC97).

I am using a new 6 foot high speed HDMI cable "with Ethernet" for internet connection sharing made by Craig designed for signal up to 1080p and HDTV (no gauge or version level given). Does anybody have any suggestions of what I can do to improve the way the font appears?

More about : font hard read

March 18, 2011 3:39:19 AM

I really should be saying "Text difficult to read" (sorry!):

I am using the HDMI format with an ATI Radeon HD4670 card on a Samsung LED monitor with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, 32 bit color, and the scaling as low as I can get it without cropping anything from being viewed. The text on the icons is noticeably difficult to read and it is very difficult to distinguish plain or bold font in a word processing document until the font size is at least 36 or so. The text was perfectly readable when I was using a DVI video interface but I was having problems with the onboard sound on my old motherboard (Realtek AC97).

I am using a new 6 foot high speed HDMI cable "with Ethernet" for internet connection sharing made by Craig designed for signal up to 1080p and HDTV (no gauge or version level given). Does anybody have any suggestions of what I can do to improve the way the font appears?
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2011 6:03:32 AM

Do you mean you want to know how to make the default text size larger without increasing the font size yourself every time ?

If so tell us what OS you are using and we can give you instructions.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
March 18, 2011 9:14:41 AM

so it works with a dvi cable, but does not with a custom HDMI/ethernet hybrid bullsh1t cable......... i wonder what the problem could be.........
m
l
March 18, 2011 1:03:22 PM

I am using Windows XP Professional, however I am really looking to improve the graphic resolution rather than increase the text size.

I do have some concerns about the HDMI cable but I would rather rule out everything else before I go to Amazon.com and spend another $15 for a 3 foot piece of HDMI V1.4 cable like I probably should have done to begin with.
m
l

Best solution

March 18, 2011 7:21:08 PM

less than $5 on Newegg and theyre not 'by Craig'.
March 19, 2011 2:09:28 AM

Ha, ha, ha! Maybe I'll check it out, at least to rule out the cable. I guess at that price I'd be foolish not to give it a try. Thanks!
m
l
March 20, 2011 2:33:22 PM

I am coming to the conclusion that my problem originates from the monitor. I went online to look for negative reviews on Amazon for my Samsung P2370HD monitor and found complaints just like mine when it is used with an HDMI interface. Trying to identify which component is the source of graphics problems in a desktop system can be challenging but it seems like breaking down each component and searching for common negative reviews is very effective!

Thanks for everyone's help in narrowing this problem down!
m
l
March 31, 2011 11:45:32 PM

Best answer selected by Timoteus.
m
l
!