f2a linker & gbc

I just bought an F2A USB linker, a GB bridge, and a 64M Flash2Advance
card.

I have a Gameboy Color (/not/ a Gameboy Advance) and I'm using XP Pro.

My Writer software always freezes once I turn on the Gameboy.

I took a trip to all the message boards and sites, tracking down as
much software and drivers and information as I could.

After painstakingly uninstalling the drivers several times and
installing new ones, old ones, and the same ones, I still have the
same problem. F2A Writer (/and/ F2A Power Writer) will recognize when
I start the application with the Gameboy on, because they tell me to
turn it off. They will also recognize when it's off, because they
tell me to turn it back on. But every time I try to turn the Gameboy
on once the software has started, that 30 second countdown freezes and
I cannot close the app. I can't even kill it in the Task Manager.

Starting the Gameboy with the (bridge and the) cart in yields the same
results as starting the Gameboy with nothing in the slot. I only
mention this because I'm not sure if you're suppose to see something
initially, before you load ROMs onto it.

My big question is, am I only able to write ROMs to flash memory with
a GBA? Many sites and resources say that you can use the carts in GBs
and GBCs, but none specify that the linker only works with GBA.

Does the f2a linker only work with a Game Boy Advance?

(Why oh why are there no more of the original cart-to-parallel port
converters? What I would do for one of those...)

mark

as you turn on Your GBA, push START AND PAUSE AT the same time, you get an
additional tone on it! then the application will display! Let me know...
"2obvious" <vadivasbro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just bought an F2A USB linker, a GB bridge, and a 64M Flash2Advance
> card.
>
> I have a Gameboy Color (/not/ a Gameboy Advance) and I'm using XP Pro.
>
> My Writer software always freezes once I turn on the Gameboy.
>
> I took a trip to all the message boards and sites, tracking down as
> much software and drivers and information as I could.
>
> After painstakingly uninstalling the drivers several times and
> installing new ones, old ones, and the same ones, I still have the
> same problem. F2A Writer (/and/ F2A Power Writer) will recognize when
> I start the application with the Gameboy on, because they tell me to
> turn it off. They will also recognize when it's off, because they
> tell me to turn it back on. But every time I try to turn the Gameboy
> on once the software has started, that 30 second countdown freezes and
> I cannot close the app. I can't even kill it in the Task Manager.
>
> Starting the Gameboy with the (bridge and the) cart in yields the same
> results as starting the Gameboy with nothing in the slot. I only
> mention this because I'm not sure if you're suppose to see something
> initially, before you load ROMs onto it.
>
> My big question is, am I only able to write ROMs to flash memory with
> a GBA? Many sites and resources say that you can use the carts in GBs
> and GBCs, but none specify that the linker only works with GBA.
>
> Does the f2a linker only work with a Game Boy Advance?
>
> (Why oh why are there no more of the original cart-to-parallel port
> converters? What I would do for one of those...)

You mean START and SELECT; START is the same thing as PAUSE.

Yes, of course I did this. (When "Game Boy" pops up on your screen,
do you always see a blank bar under it? With the a blank flash
cartridge, I mean?)

(nobody?)

> as you turn on Your GBA, push START AND PAUSE AT the same time, you get an
> additional tone on it! then the application will display! Let me know...

Okay, let me put it this way instead:

Does anybody here have an F2A USB linker and ONLY a Gameboy Color (no
GBA)? This is my setup, and it's not working. (First things first, I
want to verify that one can use the linker to flash ROMs through a
GBC.)

For any one else's future edification:

Through trial, error, and personal expense I have learned that one can
only flash ROMs via F2A using a GBA. While you may then play the ROMs
on GBC and plain ol' vanilla GB (using the Bridge), to even get
started you /must/ have a GBA.

It works like this:
You place the flash cartridge directly into the GBA.
You flash the GB/GBC ROM into the cartridge.
You remove the cartridge, sticking it in the GB Bridge.
Once in the Bridge, you can play the ROM using any flavor of Gameboy.
But it MUST BE IN THE BRIDGE, else you will not be able to access the
GB/GBC-specific ROM(s).

Now clearly, my concern is niche. 99% of people with a GBA could care
less about the older versions. GBA (specifically, GBA SP) trumps all
former Gameboys handily in every aspect...

....save two:
1) no headphone jack
2) weak, less predictable speakers

/I/ bought the F2A linker specifically to port LSDJ. LSDJ is probably
the one exception when the clunky gen 1 Gameboy is king: you simply
cannot beat the decibel output of four AA batteries.

And I was able to get it working. Yes, ladies and gentleman, I have a
portable LSDJ using F2A. (I so pompously blazon this because no one
else has. Oh, I know it's been done before--the LSDJ site makes a
single, buried reference to how buggy it is on F2A. And after much
Web scouring I found a passing mention on the LSDJ yahoo! message
board, taking it for granted that LSDJ works on F2A but never
explaining how. So if anyone ever needs to know specifics, contact me
and I'll fill you in on a setup that works (in XP).

--E.