Need help with application not found error..

shaselai

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
I recently had a virus (windows 7 antivirus 2012) and I removed it safely. Now I am having problems opening programs on my system all around and I suspect it is a registry problem. I could open the programs via "Run as administrator" but that is a huge hassle (my user account has administrator privileges.) Another thing is when I try to open the program and it has the "select from one of the following to open" window, usually when i select a program to open it with there's a bottom check box for "always use selected..." but that is grayed out... not sure what is happening.I tried to create a new user and that new user can open programs fine.

Can someone give me a few suggestions on fixing this problem? the IT desk suggested re-image the computer...

thanks!

mmnidaho

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
I am having same problem but I cant even create a new user account as i get the boing noise and message "application not found". all the programs i could open earlier today wont open now from outlook to photoshop. also when i type in msconfig i get the boing noise and again "application not found".

I use eset nod32 and have NOT had a virus or any problems that i am aware of. I ran a scan and i am clean.

help! what should i try?

You'd want to create a new post, posting at the end of another one is not good form online.

Download the Avira Antivir rescue disk, make the CD, boot off it. See if it finds anything.

You may need to run a Repair setup using your Windows disk if that comes up clean or even if it finds something but you continue to get the error.

mmnidaho

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
thanks for the info - sorry to post on someone else, never done this before, thought it was good to keep same concept together, will work on my forum etiquette. again thanks.