SLI Installation

poopoo-peepee

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I've just received my second GTX 470, am pretty clueless and so have a couple of questions re. its installtion.

1. The m/b has 3 pci-E slots and I want to know if it matters if I put the second card on the slot furthest away from the first card in order to maximise airflow.

2. Do I need to connect the 2 cards together in some way as well?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
1. It will need to go into a PCI-E x16 2.0 slot, consult your motherboard manual to see which one is suitable. Use the one as far away as possible so there is air between the two cards.

2. You will need to connect them via a SLI bridge, one should come with your graphics card (they usually do), they are a strange ribbon-like lead with thick plastic connectors on either side. They plug into the SLI connectors on the top of each card next to the rear shroud.

poopoo-peepee

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

I have installed the SLI bridge, however it is not of the ribbon variety. Merely a solid piece which ensures that I have to put it in the nearest slot anyway.

So. I uninstalled the display device via the device manager, then rebooted.
After a fresh install of the latest drivers my system recognized my second gtx 470, and the option to enable sli was there. Thinking I had finally emerged victorious I enabled sli. The screen went blank, the usb sound effect was made a few times....The screen did not come back on. So I switched off the machine, tried switching the sli bridge around to no avail.

Now I have sli disabled in order to ask questions on this forum.
Any ideas?

lastly, I plugged my monitor into the second card. Should there be some kind of display? There isn't. It does say in the device manager "this device is working properly" for both 470's

I have an asrock xtreme 6 motherboard