A 1GHz processor 256MB of RAM dual NICs and dual power supplies what can be adde

trcymks

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hello,
I need help with my extra slow OS windows xp, it lags freezes and shuts down by itself how can I help it.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
you need to find out why it shuts down, is it a temp issue? download core temp and check temps. Also in terms of extra hardware, the whole machine is seriously outdated. However if you cant afford to upgrade the whole machine, add some more ram.

trcymks

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
so is there anyway to download an upgrade from the internet and Ive checked the temp and its fine,but my memory isnt good to much on the harddrive from files that havent been deleted is that slowing it down too?

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Are you being serious about downloading an upgrade? to upgrade you need some hardware which is inside the machine. So download some cash from your bank account into your wallet, then upload the cash from your wallet to the pc store.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
256MB RAM is pathetic, upgrade to 2GB if you can find any (DDR1 i assume)
or better yet get a new PC altogether, even a budget laptop <$500 would run circles around your current setup.

what do you mean dual power supplies?

trcymks

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
first of all thats not my PC i having to figure OUT ways to upgrade in expensive ways for my school assignment, so really if you hafve nothing helpful I would really like for you to keep you commnets to urself. I have a HP Probook 6455b w/ windows 7 and it runs just fine.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
so this junky old machine is for a school assignment, not your personal computer, saying so in the first place would have saved you a lot of flak.

barring any faulty hardware, the general consensus is that machine needs more RAM.

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

How about you shove your school assignment somewhere else? Your school assignment is for learning, not gee, I'm a lazy sob, let me post on the internets and get my answer without any work.

Can a mod close this thread? This is not the homework helpline.